Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Kia Forte Sedan EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined so I could post my issue and see if anyone else has come across this. We leased our 2012 Forte almost a year ago (09/02/11), and last week the check engine light came on. We've only put 5500mi on the car, so any light coming on struck me as odd. We took it in to the dealer and it was showing P0741 for the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. The dealer has had it since Monday, working with Kia to diagnose the issue. After trying to flash the TCM, clear the code, and check for loose connections Kia Technical instructed the dealer to replace the transmission.

Not a huge deal as it's clearly under warranty, but has anyone else run into this issue? Am I the first to have an issue with the 6-speed transmission? It's kind of disheartening considering the extremely low amount of miles the car has on it.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I haven't seen a Forte with this code yet, and only a few others across the range of Kia transmissions. Its uncommon, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. It could be a wiring issue, which could be repaired, or an internal trans component failure, which would require replacement. Apparently they ruled out the wiring because they are replacing the transmission.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Forte Sedan EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen a Forte with this code yet, and only a few others across the range of Kia transmissions. Its uncommon, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. It could be a wiring issue, which could be repaired, or an internal trans component failure, which would require replacement. Apparently they ruled out the wiring because they are replacing the transmission.
Thanks for your insight. Hopefully my issue is a one off. It seems like it is, since I don't see it on any other forum. I did look it up on www.kiatechinfo.com and the procedure says to replace the TCC, but I guess it's probably just as easy to swap the tranny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 5 spd. With the infamous shock shift. About 2 months ago it started going into limp mode with cel. The dealership replaced my trans. An the issue was worse. So after more diagnostics it turned out to be resistance in the trans. Wiring harness. So I ended up with a new trans for free. ;) if replacement doesn't solve the issue, yell them to check that as well

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
whiterabit...
Thanks for your post...
This may save a Forte' owner in the future from replacing his tranny when not under warranty...
I have a question for you....Did the transmission change finally correct the cold 2~3 shift shock/thump? I have never seen a sure cure posted here. I heard about a software update but little else. Most owners seamed to resign themselves to the first cold shift being bad. I know it was only on some of the first ones.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
I have a 5 spd. With the infamous shock shift. About 2 months ago it started going into limp mode with cel. The dealership replaced my trans. An the issue was worse. So after more diagnostics it turned out to be resistance in the trans. Wiring harness. So I ended up with a new trans for free. ;) if replacement doesn't solve the issue, yell them to check that as well

Sent from my HTC One V using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The harness should be checked first, not the other way around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts