Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I liked it! I was definitely skeptic at first but its actually a pretty cool car. I filmed a review of my short experience with it Any feedback would be awesome! :D

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
Pretty good review. You should have tried out the sportmatic transmission. One thing about Kia's, they're Korean not Japanese. :D

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Hmm. Calling it Japanese does reduce the authority of the review.

Overuse of "incredible" to describe normal features. It's a small car, but no Tardis. Oh yes, and the fuel consumption is not as good as you say.

Format of review a bit monotonous; prefer walk-around to guys spouting forth. It could have been any car from that angle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Calling it Japanese was a huge mistake. Certainly won't happen again. I had just reviewed 3 toyotas that day and it was a toyota/kia dealer so that was my fault. So you prefer walk arounds to actually driving the car?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
the exterior is nothing special? lol it's designed by a Massimo Frascella who helped design cars for Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston Martin to name a few, and is one of the main reasons i went and drove one, it looked totally different, and special indeed.

as far as the interview itself went, aside from the Japan name drop balls-up, it wasn't too bad. Other angles would be nice, maybe putting a go-pro on the side the car, or the back, if the dealer doesn't mind. More editing of these shots into the main narrative. Also take some shots of the features you're talking about while driving like the HVAC buttons, and splice them into the narrative as well.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
OzSLS I thought Peter Schreyer styled the Rio ? I agree Its a handsome car & 1 of the reasons I purchased.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback ozsls. Regarding the exterior, Its all personal opinion. It's definitely one of the best looking cars in its class.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Calling it Japanese was a huge mistake. Certainly won't happen again. I had just reviewed 3 toyotas that day and it was a toyota/kia dealer so that was my fault. So you prefer walk arounds to actually driving the car?
Bit of a walk-around, then a test. If I remember, you just accelerated and braked a couple of times. A few shots of the car snaking its way along some scenic roadway to get the buyers salivating.

You might be amused by a road-test that I conducted of my Nissan 350Z. I found a beautiful set of corners and set the wife up with the video camera as I drove down the road and came back at speed with a wailing engine and scrabbling tyres. Unfortunately, she pressed the Zoom button in addition to Record, and all that was recorded was a few flashes of red with the audio accompaniment of "I think I missed him". Bah [email protected]&%!

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
It kind of reminded me of a local news station review. Not bad at all but more fluff than filler. If you did like Wry 'Cuda said about a walk around as well as more scenic road shots as well as maybe state whether there were things you didn't like ( if any). You hit on some good stats about the car but you didn't state what trim package or any accessories the car you drove had ( and I didn't play around with my screen settings to see what badge was on the car in the shot of the rear of the car).
You guys do seem pretty comfortable behind the camera and there's no stuttering or stammering when you talk about the car. You do a helluva a better job than I'd do.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Also, the mpg statement is a bit optimistic. I would think this fuel economy is the least you should expect for a car of this size. Don't compare it to SUVs or pickups or even mid size sedans but to cars like the Fiesta, Fit, or Sonic.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Hard to do a decent review with just a quick test drive loaner from the dealership. If they let you test it for a couple of days then you could do a much better review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Definitely trying to improve each time we do a new review. Drove the optima and the soul today, so should hopefully have those vids up tonight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You 2 sound like you were trying to win a free car from the dealer LOL. I still like the looks of the outside and inside of my Rio but once I turn the key and take off driving, there is a laundry list of shortcomings. You guys didn't pick up on any of them in your review.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correction to review: 'real world' MPG is not 31 (combined) but more like 27-28mpg. That is, UNLESS you always drive WITHOUT AC on, then you'll get 31.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Accent
134 Posts
no mentioning of the Rio in the list of his designs on the right:

Peter Schreyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From your link:

Design work
This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (September 2013)

Audi TT, 1998
Audi A6, 1998[17]
Audi A3, 1996[10]
Volkswagen New Beetle, 1998
Volkswagen Golf, IV, 1998[3]
Volkswagen Concept R, 2004
Volkswagen Eos,[18] 2006
Kia Borrego, 2009
Kia Venga, 2009 (& Kia No. 3 Concept)
Kia Forte, 2010
Kia Sorento, 2010
Kia Sportage, 2010
Kia Cadenza, 2011
Kia Optima, 2011
Kia Picanto/Morning, 2011
Kia Rio, 2011
Kia Cee'd, 2012
Kia K9/Quoris, 2013

Unless someone edited the page since your post - it's somewhat academic though - Schreyer is Kia's and Hyundai's chief design officer since 2006, the 2010 Forte was his design and the Rio VERY closely follows the rear (sedan) design of the Kia Forte and front design of the Kia Optima and Hyundai Accent/Elantra - all of which are good things.

Massimo might have designed the Rio - I don't know - but if so, he was inspired by Schreyer's previous work and also had to have his design approved by him.

Kinda a weak argument, though - Ferarri's have a distinctive design even though they may have been penned by Pininfarina or Giaguiro or Bertone or DeTomaso.

(Sorry for the spelling errors.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts