Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice everyday or so a drop or two of oil right where my drain plug is on the garage floor. I assume this is happening since I forgot to put a new rubber washer on the drain plug the last time I changed the oil?

I buy my own oil and an official Kia filter for my 2011 SX and have my local oil change place drain and refill it for me since I don't usually have the time or tools to do it myself. I didn't bring a new runner drain plug washer last time and now I see those spots every day or so.

So, is my assumption correct? By not adding a new washer each time will this continue to happen? Wasn't aware it needed to be replaced each oil change...

Thx in advance for the help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I remember a thread that had something relevant to this one SneakyMe. If you change out the oil plug entirely you wont ever have to worry about said washer. Check out this thread.

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/75955-2-important-oil-questions.html

In it you'll find a Fumoto fitting I bought one after seeing the thread and LOVE it. Oil change takes only a few min with this and NO TOOLS. Its worth you looking into.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Drain plugs commonly have Crush Washers which should be replaced each time. These are made of soft metal and conform to slight irregularities to make the seal. Some types of spark plug have similar washers. I bought a couple of washers to go with my genuine KIA oil filters. Besides making a seal, the washers help prevent excessive force being applied when tightening the drain plug.

I'm a bit wary of the after-market valves for draining the oil. The standard plug is OK, and less prone to unauthorised discharge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys. Both great suggestions. I need to get more filters so when I am there I will get the washers for now.

I'll definetly check out that quick valve thing...

ps... I don't do the oil changes myself anymore. I just buy everything in bulk and take it around the corner to an oil change place. They do it for $10. I sadly don't have the time with 20 month old triplets to take care of (and pay for...hehe).

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If you don't do the changes yourself any more, you may as well forget about the valve thingy.

I remember when just a "drop or two" of oil would be cause for celebration. Cars of 40+ years ago (particularly British) used to leak like sieves, and required a tray underneath when garaged.

Best wishes with the triplets. Remember safe manouvering of the vehicle with toddlers about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cuda: lol... I hear ya on leaking engines. ;-)

As for the babies. Thanks bud. Always keep it safe when wife and kids are riding along! One of the reasons I bought the sportage was due to its 5 star crash rating here in the USA. Really had everything I wanted. Tight fit, but works for us and isn't a minivan ;-p

·
Registered
213 Posts
British classic cars leaking oil ? It was written in the specification, they were actually built that way purposely to give the home mechanics something to fix ... :lol:

WD :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
You better get under there and check that drain plug. The shop may have stripped the threads, left the washer off or left the plug a little loose. I had a Saturn V6 with an O-ring in the face of the drain plug. It tended to stick to the oil pan so I started oiling it with special friction-modified gun oil when putting it back on, which solved the problem. I never did replace it. If your drain plug washer is rubber, you shouldn't have to replace it every oil change. The washer should be oiled and the plug tightened to the spec. If the rubber washer gets hard or starts to crack, then replace it.
Another thing that happens much too often is the oil filter gasket sticking to the engine and not being removed before the new filter/gasket is installed. This will cause a leak, sometimes a bad one. It's very hard to tell where oil drops originate without getting under the car and looking. A drain plug can have oil dripping off of it that came from higher on the engine, for example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts