Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX AWD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed the other day when waiting to turn left behind a bus with glass rear doors (so I had a clear view of my lights) that when I indicate the DRL's (just regular, not LED) on that side go off, indicated the other way and the DRL came back on and other side went off, is that normal? reason for it?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
It's normal, I was concerned when I first noticed it as well. I am guessing it is so the LED doesn't drown out the flashing light.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
Not sure about Canada, but in the US I believe that is a regulation/law that it does that. Its so your turn signal is more clear to on coming traffic.

My SX with the LED DRL's does the same thing, except if my headlights are turned on. With my headlights turned on, the LED's will dim and stay on all the time even with the turn signal on.

I believe all cars are to do this in the US, but I have read/heard that some people have been able to turn that off by hooking up to a computer or something to reprogram them.

·
Registered
Sorento KX4
400 Posts
I believe all cars are to do this in the US, but I have read/heard that some people have been able to turn that off by hooking up to a computer or something to reprogram them.
It`s sods law wish ours did this, here in the uk they stay on :puzzled: so if they can be reprogrammed by computer that would be good, any link to this would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
It`s sods law wish ours did this, here in the uk they stay on :puzzled: so if they can be reprogrammed by computer that would be good, any link to this would be greatly appreciated .
Not sure how its done on the KIA, but I have seen this done on an Audi. So, I don't have anything to pass along. But it has to be controlled by computer, so guessing it can be reprogrammed.

·
Premium Member
Sportage SX AWD, Audi S5, Audi TTS
13 Posts
DRLs and Indicators

Not sure how its done on the KIA, but I have seen this done on an Audi. So, I don't have anything to pass along. But it has to be controlled by computer, so guessing it can be reprogrammed.
As you can see from my sig, I have a couple Audis, and you are correct. First, it is a DOT requirement for US cars, but on the Audi at least, it's an easy fix. Second, there is a program called VAGCOM (a Volkswagen Audi Group CAN (Controller Area Network) program from Ross Tech) that communicates with all the computers (there are 8 in my S5) to control such stuff throiughout the car - all along the CAN bus. It is a simple re-coding of one module to change this - can also change the brightness when lights are on or off, etc.

The Sportage also uses CAN Bus technology, but I do not know of any user-controlled software like VAGCOM that can be used to make the changes - sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey I'm in Chicago I got a 2012 sportage lx. I was able to install both new oem headlights with oem led an bypass that feature that dims them an shuts them off while the turn signals are on,, let me know if u want the wiring diagram I got its free an verry easy to do,,

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts
As you can see from my sig, I have a couple Audis, and you are correct. First, it is a DOT requirement for US cars, but on the Audi at least, it's an easy fix. Second, there is a program called VAGCOM (a Volkswagen Audi Group CAN (Controller Area Network) program from Ross Tech) that communicates with all the computers (there are 8 in my S5) to control such stuff throiughout the car - all along the CAN bus. It is a simple re-coding of one module to change this - can also change the brightness when lights are on or off, etc.

The Sportage also uses CAN Bus technology, but I do not know of any user-controlled software like VAGCOM that can be used to make the changes - sorry.
I loved my VAGCOM. I programmed my A4 to be able to do remote up/down with the windows and set it up to lock the doors when going above 10mph. For some reason that wasn't a feature in 2001.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts