Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think there just are no DRLs for US spec Sedonas. Canadian spec Sedonas have DRL due to it required by their regulations, but I think they essentially put a bulb in the high beam position to use as DRLs.

Does the 19 EX have the headlight cluster with the LED strip like SX and SXL? That strip totally looks like it should act as a DRL, but it is not as bright as normal DRL LEDs and only comes on with the running lights. There's a thread here (above your thread) where a poster was able to hack them to be always on when the engine is running so they sort of act like dim DRLs. You essentially cut a wire in each headlight housing and connect the two wires to the fuse box for power.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It appears many people are confusing parking lights with DRLs. Per USA regulations, parking lights and DRLs have different minimum and maximum intensities. The maximum allowed intensity for parking lights is less that the minimum required intensity for DRLs, so parking lights are not DRLs per se. However, the same lights may be used for both functions by changing the intensity. That's what my 2017 Sportage does. The same LED clusters function as both parking lights and DRLs, but are much brighter as DRLs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It appears many people are confusing parking lights with DRLs. Per USA regulations, parking lights and DRLs have different minimum and maximum intensities. The maximum allowed intensity for parking lights is less that the minimum required intensity for DRLs, so parking lights are not DRLs per se. However, the same lights may be used for both functions by changing the intensity. That's what my 2017 Sportage does. The same LED clusters function as both parking lights and DRLs, but are much brighter as DRLs.
KIA calls them "positioning lights" instead of parking lights I guess. In any case, the earlier model years of the current Sedona has an LED strip that really should be DRLs but Kia decided to make them dim position lights instead. That's what I was referring to. There are no actual DRLs on the Sedona.

I've never seen the same LED bulb act with two intensities as both parking light and DRLs. So in your Sportage the same LED is on very bright during the day, acting as the DRL, and then when the parking or headlights turn on, they dim and act as the parking lights? Or are there multiple LEDs in the same cluster, with some really bright which act as DRLs and other separate LEDs which are dimmer and act as parking lights?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've never seen the same LED bulb act with two intensities as both parking light and DRLs. So in your Sportage the same LED is on very bright during the day, acting as the DRL, and then when the parking or headlights turn on, they dim and act as the parking lights? Or are there multiple LEDs in the same cluster, with some really bright which act as DRLs and other separate LEDs which are dimmer and act as parking lights?
As best I can tell it's the same LEDs operating at different intensities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stateofdate check my post with photos:

My connector in lamp has 7 pins and my LED is not working. I found of bottom the lamp, green board with driver for led. I connect shortly 12V and this is working. I must change yellow position lamp (we have in Poland white position lamp, yellow only for blinker/turn) to LED as position lamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts