Kia Forum banner

Driving Style

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BoppinBobby 
#1 ·
I was trying to figure out the "Driving Style" logic today....this is what I concluded:

Economical: Driving inside of the thick part of the Green ECO Band

Normal: Driving above the thick band but inside the thin part of the Green ECO Band

Aggressive: Driving inside the Grey Power Band

The only exception I've seen is while highway driving uphill in the thick part of the Green ECO Band when the car down-shifted gears the Driving Style changed to Normal.

Anyone else have any experiences with the Driving Style?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hit the nail on the head. I think it only applies in ECOMODE though. If you switch to sport I think it just turns into a tach (not really; but, it can't be the same). Sad you got the touring, Mpg is going to be tough and you might not be able to launch/drive in electric only mode. That's one thing I really love about my EX. If you are ginger and have a decent battery it will start and drive up to cruising speed without the engine (40-45mph).

#3 ·
I haven't used the Sport Mode yet but I'll get around to it eventually.

I was willing to sacrifice a little MPG for the amenities of the Touring...my hands are nice and toasty on the steering wheel...lol.

If I am ginger with it, I can accelerate up to speed in EV. There has got to be no traffic around, however, which is rare. Also, the car seems to like 35 MPH. I can stay in EV mode on a flat road until the battery needs charging. Unfortunately, most of the roads around me are 45...that's a tough speed for my Touring. I have been experimenting with P&G. Sometimes I can get it to stay in EV at 45MPH but most of the time it won't stay unless very flat to slightly downhill.

Where I really make up on the MPG is my highway commute. Downhill to flat, I can get it to stay in the EV mode until the battery needs charging. The MPG builds quickly at those speeds. My 55-mile commute to work has been averaging over 50 MPG.

My MPG was low in the photo bc my wife had the car for a week while I was on a business trip but it didn't take me long to get it back up. Nonetheless, 60 MPH, slight accelerator application holding speed, IFC over 75 MPG in EV Mode. Not bad...

Attachments

#4 ·
I have found out that the orange MPG bar is wrong. If your tank average is at 50mpg and the orange bar is steady at 50mpg you will see the mileage for the tank drop. It may change for warmer weather depending on how it assumes that display, time will tell.

#5 ·
I agree with Dave. The orange does not show an accurate use of (MPG/Liters per 100 Kms.) at any given moment. Mine seems to jump higher like starting after a stop light with the tank full. When its mid tank or lower it doesnt jump as high. Yes I know it could be the amount of pedal I use each time but I always try to start en electric only mode so I dont push very hard at all. I also think it has to do with when the gas motor turns on, kicks in as that uses more gas.

#6 ·
It gives you 3 different types of fuel readings. The Average since you filled it up.(If you have it set on reset once you fill up in settings) Instant (the orange bar) and when you turn the car off it gives you a MPGs of your trip. Iv notice it has to be a certain distance or sometimes it won't read one once you turn off the car.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
This is one of the only features of the Niro that really aggravates me. My Niro seems to easily jump to Aggressive, and then seems to "stick" there, and also seems to take an overly long time to go to Economical, and will jump off quite easily. I am convinced that the algorithms behind this feature are overly complex, and are overly biased towards aggressive in an attempt to get people to drive less aggressively and more economically. But the bias is too much in my opinion.

#8 ·
I've since decided that I will be leaving the Kia brand when my lease runs out. I'm pretty fed up with my car telling me I'm driving aggressively when I know I'm not. The algorithm for this is clearly overly complicated and is heavily biased against economical. I've been in EV mode before for like 30-40 seconds before it will switch from Normal to Economical. How am I not being economical if the car is in EV mode??

I'm going to be switching to the new RAV4 Prime in the fall...

#10 ·
I wouldn't be surprised at all that they may have made improvements to the algorithm in newer models - I'm driving a 2017 Niro Touring. I've observed the behavior I've describe on a regular basis - it will jump to aggressive very easily, and then be "stuck" there no matter what I do. I pressed the accelerator today such that it just barely touched the power section for less than half a second. It jumped immediately to aggressive, and although I took my foot off the gas completely and coasted, it didn't go to normal for a solid 20-30 seconds.

I had planned on moving to the PHEV Niro when my lease runs out, but then I found out about the Toyota RAV4 Prime coming out this summer - a little bigger than the Niro, and 39 miles of EV range. Both things that I prefer over the PHEV Niro. The other thing I don't like is my local Kia dealers seem to have real problems getting EV or PHEV models of any Kia. The PHEV Niro seems to be starting to become more available, but the PHEV Optima cannot be found in Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.