Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a driving instructor and bought a brand new 1.1 LX in September 2004.
At the beginning of the driving test, the examiner may ask the learner to show how they check the headlights and tail lights. If a bulb has just blown he will not allow the car to be used for the test until the fault is repaired. He allows just 5 minutes. Do you know how long it takes to change a bulb ? And the spare wheel ?
If you get a puncture on the way to the test centre, the foam stuff is not allowed and since you may be asked to drive at upto 70 on a dual carriageway, it's not safe, either. My seat adjuster is broken, as is the handbrake ratchet, both hopefully being sorted under warranty on Monday. The engine 'knocks' like it's got a tappett gone when starting in the mornings. Would I recommend a Picanto for a driving school car, not if your business depends on it. When I change mine it will be replaced by a Toyota, dearer but infinitely better.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Hello
I know a couple of driving instructors who use the Picanto as their training vehicle and they both rate it highly.
The headlight problem is something you will experience in most modern cars, as dealers no longer have the monopoly on you getting your vehicle serviced there they need something to keep you coming back!
As for the spare wheel problem, you can purchase a spare wheel kit or as they did when purchasing the car they asked for one to be included with the purchase of the car for free - both received one!

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No cars are pefect, had no idea they have bulb changing as part of the test these days... don't get a Reanault clio with air con then... they are 'fun' to change bulbs on, at least Kia make it easy to remove headlamp to change it.
Spare wheel is easily sorted, beilive it or not, the reason they do not get spare wheels, is down to emissions, the weight of the wheel on the auto version knocks it up a class for tax etc!
Do you still have to have a second speedo fitted on the Toymotas? Remember the Yaris was banned from testing til they fitted a speedo the examiner could see!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
The bulb changing isnt part of the test but candidates are asked questions regarding vehicle maintenance, one where they are to tell the examiner how to perform a specific maintenance test and one where they must show the examiner how they would test something, for example;
Please tell me how you would check there was sufficient oil in the vehicle - you would then explain removing the dipstick etc.
and secondly please show me how you would test the vehicle's lights were working - this is the particular test when a bulb might have blown and the examiner would notice - the instructor is then given 5 minutes to rectify the problem - something not so easy to do within the time limit.

I think you can still get vehicles fitted with a dual speedo the Honda Jazz is another vehicle you can request an additional speedo.

Peugeot 206's are the latest on the Driving Standards Agency's hit list because when performing the emergency stop exercise the hazard lamps activate which in the UK is against the Highway Code, instructors must provide evidence that this feature has been disactivated.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Learn something new everyday!
Do instructors carry around bulb kits?
Picanto, and most kias are straight forward to swap bulbs, just seems a bit extreme having to remove the light unit, but a couple of 10mm bolts are all thats holding it in.

If you get a puncture on the way to the test centre, the foam stuff is not allowed and since you may be asked to drive at upto 70 on a dual carriageway, it's not safe, either
Just thinking abvout that, a valid point, but what happens when you only get a spacesaver in the car? limited to 50mph, it's quite rare to get a full size spare these days even on a small car :eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 28 2005, 11:39 PM
Learn something new everyday!
Just thinking abvout that, a valid point, but what happens when you only get a spacesaver in the car? limited to 50mph, it's quite rare to get a full size spare these days even on a small car :eek:
No, they don't allow space-savers either. The secondary speedo on Toyotas, etc is thrown in free if you are buying a car for driving school purposes, as part of a driving school programme. I don't think KIA has such a programme at the moment but it ought to, as this is quite a big market for car sales. I've had a couple of my ex-students go and buy Picantos due to driving mine for their lessons. It's an excellent car for private use but I'm disappointed with a few aspects of mine, for business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts