Kia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did the above and I do not regret it at all. I went 20% on the front. Darker than most would have gone, but it really doesn;t look too dark. To me, it is just right.

I posted in your thread.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All season tires are no season tires. If you live where it snows, get winter tires. We currently are running Yokahama's winter ice radial, fantastic tire. Last couple of snow falls left almost 2 feet of snow on the ground, Borrego goes through it without fail. We live in Canada, we have winter for 6 months of the year, it snows, we use 4 winter tires. No problems.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have done 50 percent on the front and been happy with it. I just dont like that some of my buddys have gone so dark and you cant see out them at night. No good I will check on 20 percent thanks
and I replied on exhaust I am working on a sound file
Evan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have done 50 percent on the front and been happy with it. I just dont like that some of my buddys have gone so dark and you cant see out them at night. No good I will check on 20 percent thanks
Evan

You can always try 35%???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Evan
If I got a lot more snow for longer periods of time, then I would definitely go that route. But we only have snow for 2-3 weeks total a year so no real reason for snow tires for me. Glad to hear somebody's Borrego handles good in the snow :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Edwelly And EXV8 do you deactivate your esc? My truck as soon as it starts to kick out in the back the esc kicks in and straitens me out. even at highway speeds which is very cool by the way? I have heard of the v6 being underpowered in the snow but EXV8 you should be fine with the traction control on and not getting stuck? Sorry to hear about your troubles big o tires have a decent name brand tire that looks pretty decent for the money.
I leave all the nannys on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I leave all the nannys on.
Thats weird my esc shut me down before i can get them spinning, But deactivated uh yah still in the dog house with the wife. well anyway thanks for the help with installing the hid, your post made it quite simple. Happy cruising.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The stock tires...

The stock hankook tires are not rated very well for ice and snow (per tirerack.com). I myself haven't had any issues, but here in atlanta, 4 inches is the maximum we have had to deal with. Thus, even the stock tires were fine for that.

Hello all. I own a 2009 Borrego EX 4x4 which I love! It drives great in dry and is fantastic in wet conditions but driving in the snow is quite a disappointment. This comment is based on how my 2004 Honda Pilot handled (I installed 18s on the Pilot). And I am wondering if the problem is with the tires and not so much the Borrego itself. It almost seems like the tires get packed with snow and I lose all traction. Simple slow turns have my tail-end sliding out from me and this is with 4x4 HI mode engaged. I have the stock Hankook tires and my Pilot has some nice Yokohama tires.
Anybody else had this issue?
Erik

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Rick for doing a little research for me on those tires. I would rate them a 3 out of 10.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I run General Altimax Arctic's 17" in the winter, (my all season tires are 18's). I also have them studded. I drive through some nasty ice/snow storms, long distance, all winter and I love these tires. They are similar to the Hankook Winter I-pikes I used to run on my Sportage. The Generals were also surprisingly quite winter tires (alot tend to hum loud depending on the tread). I never had any problems....proven when 2 cars in front of me spinned out on black ice and there was no slippage in the borrego. Of course speed in also a difference. Here, if your driving on the highway between october and april without winter tires or chains you can be fined with huge monetary fines depending on the situation. Anyways, those Generals have treated me well in winter conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stock tires here. Just got another 6-8 inches here on top of the 10 inches we already had. Chicago. I was parked on the side street over night and of course the plows came by. So now I had to get the snow down so I could even open the door!! Started and walked right out, not even using the 4 wheel dr. I really cannot see where these complaints are coming from, that it's not good in snow. Maybe you guys get 6 feet of snow then.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Stock tires here. Just got another 6-8 inches here on top of the 10 inches we already had. Chicago. I was parked on the side street over night and of course the plows came by. So now I had to get the snow down so I could even open the door!! Started and walked right out, not even using the 4 wheel dr. I really cannot see where these complaints are coming from, that it's not good in snow. Maybe you guys get 6 feet of snow then.
I agree that the Borrego is awesome in this weather. My problem is with the tires. I have had the rear-end fish tail on my several times in this year and my concern is the tires, not the Borrego. To me there is a difference in spinning ans sliding. Does that make more sense as to where I am coming from?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem last year with fishtailing, I thought it was just me having to get used to a bigger heavier vehicle, but after a whole seaon of sliding around, I figured I would try winter tires this year. I picked up a set of Michelin x-ice 245/70-17's and the difference is huge. even in wet slushy snow the grip is far better than the stock Hankooks. I use 4-Hi when I remember to put it on, but most of the time it's in auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. I own a 2009 Borrego EX 4x4 which I love! It drives great in dry and is fantastic in wet conditions but driving in the snow is quite a disappointment. This comment is based on how my 2004 Honda Pilot handled (I installed 18s on the Pilot). And I am wondering if the problem is with the tires and not so much the Borrego itself. It almost seems like the tires get packed with snow and I lose all traction. Simple slow turns have my tail-end sliding out from me and this is with 4x4 HI mode engaged. I have the stock Hancock tires and my Pilot has some nice Yokohama tires.
Anybody else had this issue?
Erik
Yes, I have the Borrego Limited. I previously had a 1994 Sorento and the snow performance was much better with the Sorento.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tires

Hey guys, i use to work for kia in chicago and want to give you some info. the original tires were not ment for ice/snow situations. as a dealer we always gave a customer a chance to change them out for the yoko ht/s or the at/s. the borrego is a very incredible vehicle but the tires were the bottle neck of its performance. to give you an idea... in the winter if there was snow on the lot and we had to drive the vehicles up a 20% grade unless we had a running start it would never make it until we changed the tires. i actually drive an explorer right now with the yoko at/s and love them. would recommend them highly as long as you get them syped. the ht/s are also a very good tire if you dont leave the pavement. hope this helps. also discount tires is where i got my yoko's for 550 plus tax on the 260-70/17 so the 18's shouldnt be too much more. good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had record amounts of snow this year in the NE. I have owned two Jeeps, a Pathfinder and a ML 500 all with 4WD. I was impressed by the way the Borrego handled in the snow. In fact out of all the 4 x 4's I have owned the Borrego handled the best in the snow.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts