Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the Mrs are off on holiday to said country and I would like to clarify what i need by law, I am not even sure if the headlights can be redirected even. Anyone been and know what I need to be legit. Many thanks

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
You'll need a high vis jacket for every occupant of the car - and these have to be to hand in the car, not the boot, a set of spare bulbs for all the lights on your car (Halfords do kits for this), a warning triangle, first aid kit, a breathalyzer (became law in July) , GB sticker, and the headlamp deflectors. Sounds preposterous when its all listed like that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a lot of stuff, I bet it aint going to be cheap either. Halfords here I come.

Are the headlights marked so I know where to put the diverting things?

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
0858 Kia Pro_Cee'd 3 1.6 CRDi, Red
191 Posts
They are but it can be quite confusing when you try to fit them, I ended up not putting them on and chancing it

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did a trip to france, I bought the headlamp diverters on ebay for about £4.99 (quite a lot of a couple of bits of sticky plastic) the instructions were in the kit and IIRC they fitted just left & below center of the main bulb. No markings on the glass. (suprise, as I thought they would be to the right). The breathalysers are on ebay (2 for £7) but they are dirt cheap to buy in France (€2 each), I understand even though its law, its not being enforced until November.
I did notice, whilst I was there vitually no other UK car that I saw had the beam deflectors!

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
ALL the emergency things SHOULD be in the car and not the boot, from bulbs to triangles, and breathalysers, everything should be under the two front seats and secured, I had a friend who was done with a hefty fine because he had the bulb kit in the boot...

But as has been said, a full bulb kit, a full warning triangle, high vis jacket per occupant, two breathalysers at all times, beam adapters, decent sized first aid kit, and I would also advise a small maintenace toolkit.

Basically, take the minimum requirements and think "what will I need to use that?" and make sure you have what you need.

Remember, when your stopped and done on the spot, you have a lot to prove that your doing it right, otherwise hefty fines are the least of your worries.

On the plus side, if you get a speeding ticket from a fixed camera, you should be ok to not recieve any fines or fee's, having said that, DONT go doing it just on my say so :p apparently the UK is the bermuda triange of europe, and anyone who enters or leaves will likely not get a ticket from the visiting/visited country. so if you do get flashed dont panic! :)

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 EX
92 Posts
On the plus side, if you get a speeding ticket from a fixed camera, you should be ok to not recieve any fines or fee's, having said that, DONT go doing it just on my say so :p apparently the UK is the bermuda triange of europe, and anyone who enters or leaves will likely not get a ticket from the visiting/visited country. so if you do get flashed dont panic! :)
YMMV on this. I was pulled over on a French highway couple of years ago for speeding. The policeman explained (in a very poor English) that i was flashed by a fixed camera and, to confirm that, i was measured with a hand-held radar by the police patrol. I was pulled over because both reading showed that i was speeding (140km/h on a 110/km/h section of the highway).
The highway patrol in a Subaru Impreza flashed the lights and sirens in front of me. The policeman inside gave me a hand signal through the window to follow him. We stopped at the nearest gas station. I tried to wiggle out of paying the fine by explaining the we were all out of Euros, being on our way home and everything. The policeman didn't buy it and politely showed me the direction of the ATM inside the gas station where i can withdraw the cash needed :) The fine was 90 Eur.

On the other hand, maybe UK/EU citizens are not pulled over by the police and are expected to receive their speeding tickets by mail.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what is the fine for not having correct stuff, 90 euros? The chances of getting pulled are minimal so depending on what everything will cost me I might chance it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did 2000 miles in France and never saw a fixed or mobile speed camera at all. You see way more over here. Though I only cruised at 70mph (110kmh) on the motorways so wast a "target" and was careful to obey speed limits in towns etc.
Bythe way my Ceed did between 55-57 mpg cruising at 70mph on that trip.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be sticking to speed limit so thats not an issue, I will also be disabiling the speed camera alerts on my sat nav as I believe that is the law aswel over there, typical euro bullcrap lol I got 65mpg on the readout on a trip down to york and back a few months ago so Im hoping I might get close to that, ive also stuck in some millers additive to give her a clean through.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
I would take great care in NOT carrying things, your looking at approximately 90 euro's fine per missing item. For the sake of a 7 or 8 pound breathalyser kit, do you really want to be paying that much? or for a 12 pound bulb kit? or a 4 pound per person vest?

You could either pay one fines worth and buy everything, or risk one fine per every missing item! - Dont forget, most of these items you will use over the next few years, so think of it as an investment, as opposed to a fee for your holiday...

Although cautious, Speeding over in foreign countries is very easy to do, given that you are looking by default at the MPH, and might slip up, and the different driving styles / positions on the road, you could easily slip up.

Most people I know who got caught speeding via camera, got away with it, ALL who got caught by a policeman, (as previously mentioned) got politely directed towards an ATM!

The same happens here, If a foreign driver gets a minimal fine (lorry parking on the hard shoulder) then they are asked to pay the £30 or whatever fine on the spot and the matter is resolved, but we couldnt get the reg details from that country to post the fine!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would take great care in NOT carrying things, your looking at approximately 90 euro's fine per missing item. For the sake of a 7 or 8 pound breathalyser kit, do you really want to be paying that much? or for a 12 pound bulb kit? or a 4 pound per person vest?

You could either pay one fines worth and buy everything, or risk one fine per every missing item! - Dont forget, most of these items you will use over the next few years, so think of it as an investment, as opposed to a fee for your holiday...

Although cautious, Speeding over in foreign countries is very easy to do, given that you are looking by default at the MPH, and might slip up, and the different driving styles / positions on the road, you could easily slip up.

Most people I know who got caught speeding via camera, got away with it, ALL who got caught by a policeman, (as previously mentioned) got politely directed towards an ATM!

The same happens here, If a foreign driver gets a minimal fine (lorry parking on the hard shoulder) then they are asked to pay the £30 or whatever fine on the spot and the matter is resolved, but we couldnt get the reg details from that country to post the fine!
Yeah it's probably not worth the risk, I will go to halfords tomorrow, atleast I have my work high viz and the wife has her pink one for on her bike and my car has a euro number plate so that's a start atleast.

·
Registered
ceed 1.6crdi 2010
12 Posts
I am fairly sure that you need a fire extinguisher in the car and a new law that camera detectors are now illegal,Tomtom updates will rectify your device so they will not react in France

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back today from france, aircon packed in 2nd day we were there and it was really needed with the temps we had. Only ever saw 2 police riders racing each other back up the motorway on way home and a few speed camera cars by side of road and a copper with a lazer gun. All in all a good trip and atleast I have some spare bulbs just incase :)

Just have to get the aircon sorted now grrrr.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts