Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife ran the car off the road hit a ditch and now the front tire is leaning. The top of tire is in and the bottom is out. Also there is less clearence between the tire and wheel well compared to the passinger side. also there is little to no shock absorber movement. And when you turn the steering wheel there is a loud clunk. What should i look for when it gets light out in the AM. Any suggestions are appreciated. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is something i can do myself i'll try to tackel it i have never worked on her car yet it allways goes to the dealer for service, for warrenty validation. I can do most of my own work but this isn't warrenty. So with kia tech info help maybe i can get it done if not yep it get's towed to the garage.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Very unlikely that you can fix it yourself. Camber is not usually adjustable; something is seriously bent, and the rest of the suspension should be checked for security as well.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Very unlikely that you can fix it yourself. Camber is not usually adjustable; something is seriously bent, and the rest of the suspension should be checked for security as well.
+1

Tow it to somewhere competent and get it fixed. Even if it's something obvious like a bent control arm or broken strut, the alignment is still going to be way out and you may have even bent the frame. Have a pro deal with it.

Best,

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
That is what I was thinking too. Any number of things could be wrong with it all something a garage should handle.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
The dealership would not be my choice. Telephone around for a very good alignment shop that can find and fix bent parts. This might be a collision insurance item, but it might save you money in the long run if you pay for it rather than file an insurance claim. Get the info from the shop first.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Sounds like some serious damage. Front strut assembly, new wheel maybe tire, and possibly some steering components sound like they were damaged and will require work from a qualified mechanic with the right tools. Assessing what all was damaged and doing it quicker than us usually;) is better left to the qualified or at least they have the the right equipment.^_^ Besides you will need to change the tire if need be and do an alignment at the end, if you can do all that along with changing the strut then I would give it a shot.:D
I would do what KLS suggested and contact your insurance, a $500 deductible is better then a $1000 repair bill, at least in the short term.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank's for all your input guy's. I just wanted some insight with my problem. I'm not a car mechanic but i could be after 30 years of working on my own cars over the years. Thank's A bunch guy's. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Have seen a few of these wrecked and the outer tie rod ends and/or struts tend to bend on a hard enough impact. Just by what you said about the top of the tire leaning in, I'd put money on the strut being bent. If the damaged part(s) are replaced ,they are usually ok, and don't need to go to a body shop. If it is aligned and it cannot be adjusted into spec, then it will need to looked at by a body shop. .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts