Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Cee'd 2010 Level 2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 3 hour drive pulling into a car park my back was aching so I stretched it out against the back of the drivers seat when I heard a "pop" noise. I can only think that this was the lumber support bending back. The next day I got into the car and when I put weight on the back of the seat I experienced the same noise. Since then I have been careful not to lean back too hard and haven't experienced the same noise. But now as I go around corners and my body weight shifts left and right I can feel almost as is something is shifting left and right in the seat front with a quiet "click". I guess I've managed to break my lumbar support. If I have I don't think much of the robustness of the build because when it went "pop" the first time I wasn't putting that much load on it. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so what did you do? Thank you!!

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I can't relate similar experience to you but going off on a tangent I have always wondered what the point of the adjuster is. On all the cars I have had with one it is obvious something is wiggling about inside the seat when the lever is operated but they seem to make absolutely no difference to seat shape or pressure points.

Does anybody find it useful?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well I can certainly feel the extra "padding" when I increase the lumbar setting. No idea if its useful since I have never had back issues in the Ceed but its been set to "max" since the day we collected the car.

Before the Ceed we had a Focus, first time we went away on holiday in it I was crippled after 200 miles. Turned lumbar setting to max and never had another issue in the 5 years we had the car Did many 400+ mile runs in the car after this.

I always make sure adjustable lumbar is fitted to at least the drivers seat before I buy a car. Would hate to get one without it and find that it leaves me in pain with no adjustment.

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
@hawkerhunter:

First off, welcome to the forum!

Since your profile data is not updated, I don't know which model you're driving, but in 2008 pro that I have, there seems to be some "problem" with the active head rests - it appears that they tend to pop out when I apply pressure to the lower part of the seat back. It only happens on the driver's side and it rarely happens to me, as I'm not a heavy person. However, when someone with 100ish kilos sits in the car and starts pushing their back against the back of the seat, I noticed the active headrests popping out. You can try and push the seat back and watch the active headrests to notice if it's the same problem with yours.

I don't think this is normal behaviour, as it started happening on mine only after a heavy person sat there and made it pop for the first time.

Regarding the seat lumbar support - I do feel (slight) difference between "min" and "max" positions, but I don't know if it makes any difference - mine's set to "max" since I bought it. I have no clue if the seats without that setting are shipped with default back curve to "max" or "min" (or something in between)...

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Before the Ceed we had a Focus, first time we went away on holiday in it I was crippled after 200 miles. Turned lumbar setting to max and never had another issue in the 5 years we had the car Did many 400+ mile runs in the car after this.
OK. Although I haven't found the point of adjustment in any car I've owned, I suppose the Ceed seat is particular in being so shapeless that there's mostly empty space behind me.

·
Registered
KIA Cee'd 2010 Level 2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@nikola

Thanks for the replies. I have a Ceed 2010 Level 2 model. I weight a precise 71kgs! So maybe pushing my back into the seat could have caused it to pop. I'm not sure what an active headrest it. The pop was adjacent to my lower back and that's where something clicks in and out as I go around corners. It's still under warranty so I'll probably take it back for a look.

I'd rather not have the lumbar support because it's more budget mechanical bits to go wrong and I don't find it particularly effective.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The "active" headrests are actually just headrests with the ability for their front end to pop-out in case of rear end collision.
They work by leveraging the force your body puts to lower back of the seat to move the headrest front towards your head - to cushion your head/protect your neck.

After describing where you hear the clicks, I'm 90% sure it's the same problem I have on mine - and mine is related to headrests... take it for the warranty repair to see if they will be able to help you.

·
Registered
2010 ceed sw2 and a bit BD59FHY
95 Posts
Based on my experience, I would say it is the active headrest activation bar. I used to run with no lumbar support set. Mine did it on one specific junction near my house where you have to turn out sharpish across a busy main road to the right and then immediately left up a road diagonally opposite. The forcing left then right while pushing the clutch for first and second set it off. If you just put your finger in the middle of the headrest pad and move it about, the pad should feel loose. Do the same thing with the passenger headrest for comparison. If you kneel in the seat facing the seat back grip the headrest assembly on both sides like you are grabbing a large sandwhich and squeeze it together while wiggling it with the balls of your hand it will sit back tight again. The cure I found was to turn the lumbar support slightly forward to take the weight of my lower spine and backside off the activation bar. Its not a highly technical set up, it is just an activation bar at the bottom that pushes up a wired bowden cable to push the headrest out. In a rear ender, the car will accelerate faster than you, ramming the seat / activator bar into your backside. That pressure immediately transmits up the cable pushing the headrest forward before the whiplash effect up your spine causes your head to snap back, where the headrest will have already come forward to meet it thus reducing the whiplash distance.
There you are, I think. 'Kia, the power to surprise'. Well Iwas surprised the first time it happened to me anyway!
That will be the other Kia surprise if you take it back for warranty. By the time they've told you that 'they all do that' then try and make it do it themselves, then contact KIA UK for permisison to even start thinking about doing anything about it. Then filling in their report to KIA UK describing what it is they think it was that you bought it in for and wait for the response that this is unheard of and it is being sent to the technical department ( which I think is in outer Mongolia somewhere.)
To eventually find that they consider that sitting on a seat and moving your little 'botty' about on it constitutes normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That will be the other Kia surprise if you take it back for warranty. By the time they've told you that 'they all do that' then try and make it do it themselves, then contact KIA UK for permisison to even start thinking about doing anything about it. Then filling in their report to KIA UK describing what it is they think it was that you bought it in for and wait for the response that this is unheard of and it is being sent to the technical department ( which I think is in outer Mongolia somewhere.)
To eventually find that they consider that sitting on a seat and moving your little 'botty' about on it constitutes normal wear and tear.
This is exactly why I didn't even try to bother with warranty. Though I red on this forum that some members got their seats either repaired or even replaced completely.

·
Registered
KIA Cee'd 2010 Level 2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the issue is exactly as you describe. If I put my hand under the bottom of the upright part of the seat, gripping it both sides and squeeze, the whole assembly moves including the headrest. I will take it to the garage and see what they say. It's not really wear and tear, that's quite a poor argument. I shall report back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts