Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a question regarding my 2002 Kia Rio. I have taken my car to get it emission tested three times at my local emission test site in Crown Point IN. I want there three times and all three times the car would not pass emissions. I was told that I must drive the car 3-5 days then come back. I did just that with a mix of city and highway driveing and still the car did not pass. The reason is there is "incomplete monitors: Fuel, Catalyst." This was the code all three times when I taken to the emission test site. In this case I called my local mechanic and he told me I that I must do a drive cycle to reset the codes so it can pass. The mechanic told me to look up online about to find one for this car. I have also taken the car to my local auto zone to check if my battery was still good. The reason was I looked up somewhere online that I first must check the battery to make sure that I have a good battery. In this case the battery is good. I also told about my situation and what my mechanic told me to the auto zone associate and he said that I should have it checked out and also look for a specific drive cycle for this car. I was wondering if anyone would know of a specific drive cycle for a 2002 Kia Rio?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Greetings,

Here is a link to post over on repairpals.com of the 'generic' ODBII readiness cycle:

what is the correct drive cycle to reset readiness monitor - 1997 Volvo 850

Comments: Make sure the vehicle has at least 1/4 tank full, better at 1/2 tank.

re: #4 in the test (deceleration), the deceleration period from 55 MPH without braking should be for at -least- 5 seconds.

--
Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Kia Rio did not pass the NJ state inspection 5 times for not ready status of 4 things.

Downloaded the drive cycle from the link below.

Kia Rio: OBD-II review - Engine Control System - Engine Control / Fuel System - Kia Rio UB 2012-2015 Service Manual

Disconnected the battery overnight, put the car on a ramp on both sides that way the front wheels lifted up
and connected the battery made a cold start and completed the drive cycle-I once and
drive cycle-II twice and went to inspection.
Passed. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts