Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Rio5 with 20k miles on it. Noticed drip lines under both side view mirrors, assumed was just just dirt until brought to car wash. Can't feel the marks, but they are visible almost half way down door panels. Not sure if it is from solvent or something seeping from mirrors when rains, but no other similar marks anywhere. Bringing to dealer this week. What are my chances of anything being done to fix this issue?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Once the marks are removed, try waxing beneath the mirrors that may help reduce the chance of the marks building up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, will try!

Just concerned that because these are the only marks from water on the entire car, if it might be from water reacting with something inside the sideview's casing, like a sealant or gasket or something. Going to be a bummer if I have to address this every time it rains for the next 5years. My previous vehicle was a budget Toyota Echo that I drove for 7 years (also with no garage) and the finish when I traded it in for this one looked literally like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX (w/ Nav)
28 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2013 Rio. I have tried cleaning them off, and it doesn't seem to work. I have shown friends and they say "it's just dirt", but it will not come off. What did your dealer say? I was thinking of bringing it to my dealer as well, but haven't yet. I have a white Rio, so to me it is quite noticeable. :mad:

Thanks!

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Going to the dealer will waste your money (if they make you pay). Having worked in a dealership, all you need is some buffing compound and a new/clean microfiber cloth and the black lines will go away for a bit. They'll come back, yes, but there's nothing you can do.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Can't say we have experieced this on ours. Get annoying water marks down over the left-hand side of rear window in the Sportge the day after I have washed, chamoised and dried it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trade in?

That's crazy to accept that there's nothing I can do about it. The car is a year old! Never had nor heard of this kind of issue with this new a car. Guess have to consider polishing it up and maybe trading it in. Disappointing.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
If it doesnt come out, this could fall under paint warranty.....

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
It's not covered under any warranty and it's not a paint issue. Simple washing/drying won't make it come off, you have to scrub at it with something and not just with a towel. I know for sure that it rubbs off with the compound I mentioned, never tried it with wd-40 since I wasn't allowed at the dealership.

You're lucky it's only under your mirrors. I know for a fact on toyotas (and I'm going to guess Lexus' too) that there are also drip marks under the doors and sometimes under the rear window if it's a hatch and sometimes under the rear side windows if it's a certain shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts