Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first of all i´m from Sweden so please forgive me if my grammar isn´t perfect.
Registered here since the Swedish forum is not that active:( and i really need answers or opinions to my question.

I´ve got a Kia Carens -08 with integrated rails and crossbars. Never really used them but i´m going to Germany next week and need a roofbox (Correct??) attached to them.
To my amazement i discovered there are only holes for the crossbars half the length of the rails with gives me a maximum cc of 60cm, and i need at least 70cm for the box i´ve got.
There are a rubberstrip in the rails that prevents them from being moved further forward but no holes for the crossbars beneath.

So my question to you are: -Is it ok to rip out the rubberstrip and drill a new set of holes in the rails in order to get the forward crossbar fixed in a position ~10-15cm forward??

I hope you understand what it is that i want to do and i really hope for some answeres....

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
255 Posts
I recall reading something about the modification you describe, so I believe there is hope. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details, may want to try searching around as I believe it may have been posted on this forum, perhaps years ago.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Grammar OK. Roof Box OK. Common brand is Thule.

From the picture, it seems that the holes in the rail are in the lower part of the rail and are reinforced. since it's your car, you could drill it if you liked, but you might have to drill right through the top of the rail as well. You could blank off the top hole with a rubber plug to make it look OK. all this is based on my interpretation of your pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx for grammar check Wry ´Cuda ;)

Since i´m planning on using the existing crossbows seen on picture i will only need to drill holes as the ones you see in image since the crossbars lock with a little sprint in those holes. No need to drill from top.

@KingFatty: Did see a post yesterday where the threadmaker wrote that he had drilled new holes in his rondos rails. But no images attached so there was a little bit of confusion from my side. That´s why i decided to ask myself before doing something really stupid! :)

10mm drill, here i come...!

*edit*
9mm proved to be better. Worked great!

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts