Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Sorry to say, that my first post here is one to ask for help, but please, I am in need. Seems to me that my timing belt tensioner has started making the horrible rattling/clanking noise. I love my car, but I need to try and get this taken care of. Has anyone done it before? Any input on how to get it done? I really need some help with this, and im really not too sure on where to begin. Does the timing belt itself have to come off? Ive heard it may be a recall, but im not too sure. Please keep me posted guys... I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also... I am not the original owner, but it is an 04, with less than 100k miles... would something like this be covered under their factory 10 year 100k mile warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all! Sorry to say, that my first post here is one to ask for help, but please, I am in need. Seems to me that my timing belt tensioner has started making the horrible rattling/clanking noise. I love my car, but I need to try and get this taken care of. Has anyone done it before? Any input on how to get it done? I really need some help with this, and im really not too sure on where to begin. Does the timing belt itself have to come off? Ive heard it may be a recall, but im not too sure. Please keep me posted guys... I really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Brad, I just saw this eight month old post.

I also own the 2004 Amanti (3.5L engine) and have changed the timing belt as a maintenance item. As you may know already, it is critical to change the belt before it breaks to avoid costly engine repairs. The 3.5 L is an "interference engine" which means that if the timing belt breaks then piston-to-valve collision will happen. The cost on repairing that is scary.

After spending 10 years under the hood as a mechanic, the noise that you describe doesn't sound like a tensioner issue to me. If the bearing on the tensioner starts going bad you'll experience a grinding or whirring-vibration noise (similar to a bad wheel bearing or a bad idler pulley bearing) rather than a clanking noise.

If you are to have the tensioner replaced, then yes, the belt has to come off. Be prepared to spend at least a day doing it. It's a lot of work.

Kia makes a special tool to apply the proper tension to the timing belt before locking down the bolt on the tensioner. I was able to work around that by using a pry bar and snap ring pliers inserted into the two holes on the pulley. I don't advise it unless you absolutely know what you're doing because if you apply too little pressure to the initial setting of the timing belt tension, as soon as you start the car, the belt will "jump tooth" and quite likely bend the valves.

Be very careful.

I won't be checking back on this thread. If you want to ask a question feel free to email me at [email protected].

P.S. The special tool for the timing belt tension is inserted into the two holes shown here: http://www.carid.com/ic/wp/gmb/w01331633624gmb_1.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi russ, i have an 08 amanti, 3.8 dohc, and i believe it has a timing chain as opposed to a serpentine belt. I am told this chain will never need replacing. as far as the serpentine drive belt in the front, it looks like a compact place to work but i enjoy doing stuff like that, so far lol. tks amantifreak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts