Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Accord EX 6-speed
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the experience has been like when downshifting in manual mode. Apparently, the transmission does not rev match on downshifts. To those who use manual mode, what happens when you downshift. Does the car lurch or jerk in any way if there is a large change in RPM's? Or is it still smooth but perhaps it takes it longer to shift down since it does not blip the throttle?

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
I use my paddle shifters at some point in almost every drive. No, there's no lurching, unless you downshift multiple gears quickly, which happens with rev-matching transmissions, too. Remember that these Hyundai/Kia automatics still have a torque converter, which smooths out those effects, unlike a dual-clutch transmission like those in VW/Audi, newer BMW, and some other (usually pricier) cars. Rev matching is cool, but not really necessary in daily driving. I had it on my 2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG, but it was pretty subtle at the rev levels in normal and even most "spirited" use.

Shifting speed seems nearly as fast in my SX compared to that A3 DSG, but there's no "up shift burp" (which was kind of fun). The downshift logic with the SX paddles is clearly superior to the Audi's in many situations. The SX holds a selected gear down long descents and returns to "D" more quickly out of a corner and on flat roads.

·
Registered
Public Transportation
186 Posts
For typical daily driving, it's marginally acceptable. But when driven aggressively, I thought the paddle shifters were a joke. You need rev matching to avoid unsettling the chassis when driving challenging roads. Such is not the case with this car. I thought the shifting speed was slow too. Never driven a DSG car, so can't really compare, but would expect dsg to be quicker as there is no torque converter present.

For reference, I drove the optima sx on the tail of the dragon (TN 129), Cherahala skyway, and Blueridge parkway. Between the crappy tires and ineffective trans, the experience was less than memorable. Not really related to the question in the OP, but the understeer was excessive too.

Going down through the gears, there was that jerk or lurch present as the engine caught up to the wheels. Given the trans in these cars are all computer controlled, it begs the question why not implement the rev matching since it's just a matter of software.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Accord EX 6-speed
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious, does the manual shift mode allow you to go all the way to redline before it up-shifts? If so, does it behave like that for all gears or does it up-shift sooner in the lower gears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts