Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the function of the downhill brake control. This would be on a 2012 EX.. I tried driving down a steep hill at 10 mph. I engaged the DBC and felt a bit of shuddering (?).

I thought I read somewhere that this button was used when ? backing up a hill and you wanted the Sorento to stop automatically when you took your foot off the gas. (not sure about this)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
When it is engaged, it will slow the vehicle to 5mph as quickly as possible, and then maintain it without any brake input from you. It uses the ABS system to do this, and the shuddering you feel is the hydraulic pump on the ABS unit, which is normal. It is useful for a steep hill that is snowy/icy or possibly covered in loose gravel. It will only engage below 20mph and on a certain downhill slope.

There is also the hill start assist, or HAC(hill assist control). It will hold the brake on, again using the ABS, only without the pump shudder, on a certain uphill slope to prevent the vehicle from drifting backwards. When the brake is released, it will hold for 2 seconds or until it sees a throttle input. The HAC is on all the time and cannot be disengage. It is especially helpful on manual transmission models.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
Can anyone explain the function of the downhill brake control. This would be on a 2012 EX.. I tried driving down a steep hill at 10 mph. I engaged the DBC and felt a bit of shuddering (?).

I thought I read somewhere that this button was used when ? backing up a hill and you wanted the Sorento to stop automatically when you took your foot off the gas. (not sure about this)

Thanks in advance.
This feature is a joke!
I live in the hills of Pa. and tried using it a few times driving downhill. It won't work on just any hill, (when I need it?) just on fairly steep hills :huh: Then, It doesn't engage immediately when you push the button, it suddenly comes on abruptly when you least expect it :eek: applying the brakes pumping hard automatically. Here's hoping you have your seat belt on, because it will push you into it, while doing it's thing :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it when backing up a hill (like my driveway) so, I can't say how it works for that,,, But, I expect my driveway is probably not steep enough?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
This feature is a joke!
I live in the hills of Pa. and tried using it a few times driving downhill. It won't work on just any hill, (when I need it?) just on fairly steep hills :huh: Then, It doesn't engage immediately when you push the button, it suddenly comes on abruptly when you least expect it :eek: applying the brakes pumping hard automatically. Here's hoping you have your seat belt on, because it will push you into it, while doing it's thing :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it when backing up a hill (like my driveway) so, I can't say how it works for that,,, But, I expect my driveway is probably not steep enough?
Is it possible that you are pressing the brake or throttle when trying to engage it? On a steep enough hill, at about 20mph, press the button without any brake or throttle input and see what happens. Also, any brake or throttle input while it is working will disengage it.

It does seem to be a finnicky system, but it does work. I tried it on a completely snow covered hill with half bald tires and it achieved and maintained 5mph perfectly, allowing me to focus on steering and not on braking, which is what it is designed for.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
hmmm... now after reading this,

i should really go and try it out on some of the very steep hills around here to get a good feel how it works before i actually need it, as you don't want any unexpected behaviour from it when you least expect it

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX AWD (Titanium Silver); 2013 MINI Cooper S Hardtop, 6-sp. manual (Eclipse Gray)
121 Posts
This feature is a joke!
I have to agree that it's basically useless (but harmless as long as you don't expect it to keep you out of trouble).

I've tried it on a couple downhill inclines that were so steep that the vehicle picked up speed. Once it exceeded the downhill brake control's maximum speed, the brake control simply shut off, allowing it to accelerate freely!

I'd call it a technical curiosity more than a feature.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,144 Posts
I have to agree that it's basically useless (but harmless as long as you don't expect it to keep you out of trouble).

I've tried it on a couple downhill inclines that were so steep that the vehicle picked up speed. Once it exceeded the downhill brake control's maximum speed, the brake control simply shut off, allowing it to accelerate freely!

I'd call it a technical curiosity more than a feature.
I tried using this again recently, backing out of my driveway onto the upslope road, with the same results as you Jim, it never kicked in :mad:

I would rather they put the handbrake back on the center console as in previous models, that was one of my favorite features on my previous 2005 Tucson, & 2002 Santa Fe. So much easier to control, and you could occasionally exercise the rear brake discs at the same time, so that they didn't freeze up. The footbrake is another joke, as I have to get into contortions at my age to use it, I'm sure that will really help in an emergency :rolleyes:

Whatever posesses Hyundai/Kia to change things like this? I guess peer pressure from competitors for this feature, & cost cutting by the "beancounters" combined, make it happen? :rolleyes: Maybe even the Big Gvmnt. "nanny" is also involved for "Our Safety"? :mad: After all, they're the reason all 2013 cars are mandated to have ESC/ESP/Skid control!

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
i agree regarding the park about getting into contortion just to get the foot brakes (Parking Brakes) to work

i have to step on it fully, allllll the way in, for it to actually do what it's supposed to do, if you do a quick pump with the foot, it only gets in like half way

so if you Sorento is on a hill... and you left it in neutral, instead of park, then you'll most likely find the Sorento at the bottom of the hill by the time you come back to the parking spot.

you have to really go all out of your way to stretch the whole leg all the way into it and push against your back sit for it to get enough pressure to hold the brakes in place

if you just pump it in from a bend-knees (normal seating) position to the bottom, that's not enough pressure to get the brakes to hold the discs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts