Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 Kia Soul. A couple of years ago the driver side rear door stopped opening from the inside and outside. I have finally come around to trying to fix it and have gotten passed the very challenging task of removing the door panel on a door that won't open (without breaking not one clip).. I'm not too sure where to go from here... Some have said the child lock could be broken but I cannot access it and the plastic piece that is turned with a screw driver to lock and unlock it seems to be missing (it's just a hole from what I can see and feel in the little space I have.) Do I need to remove the outside door handle to get it open in order to have full access and see the problem? If so, how is this done? Or do y'all have any suggestions on what could be the problem and how to go about fixing it? Doesn't seem to be any how-to's for this problem on this vehicle...
Please help.

Here's a picture of where I'm at on the door.
Motor vehicle Gas Hood Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
2012 Soul Base
27 Posts
Wow - I'm impressed with getting that panel off undamaged! My right rear window is jumping track, so I'm about to. I've never pulled that apart on a Kia so am not sure how the latch is set up but have always been able to trace the linkage or cable to the latch and then figure out how to release it. Normally with a wire coat hanger with a hook on the end. Maybe the parts breakdowns on the "kiapartsnow.com" or "cheapkiaparts.com" website will help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow - I'm impressed with getting that panel off undamaged! My right rear window is jumping track, so I'm about to. I've never pulled that apart on a Kia so am not sure how the latch is set up but have always been able to trace the linkage or cable to the latch and then figure out how to release it. Normally with a wire coat hanger with a hook on the end. Maybe the parts breakdowns on the "kiapartsnow.com" or "cheapkiaparts.com" website will help?
Makes total sense to try a hanger! I will definitely try that and checkout those websites to hopefully get an idea on the mechanics of it. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
12 Posts
I haven't removed a Kia door panel but it looks similar to a 2007 Hyundai Elantra I worked on. The horizontal cables (white) control the door lock and latch release. Do you feel resistance if you pull on one cable. The other cable controls the lock so it moves both directions. The black plastic piece is the window regulator and it has to be removed if you want to work on the door lock/latch. You must disconnect the window from the regulator before it can be removed. It's connected by one bolt and you access it thru the rubber plug in the middle near the bottom. Roll down the window until you see the bolt thru the opening. It isn't an easy job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't removed a Kia door panel but it looks similar to a 2007 Hyundai Elantra I worked on. The horizontal cables (white) control the door lock and latch release. Do you feel resistance if you pull on one cable. The other cable controls the lock so it moves both directions. The black plastic piece is the window regulator and it has to be removed if you want to work on the door lock/latch. You must disconnect the window from the regulator before it can be removed. It's connected by one bolt and you access it thru the rubber plug in the middle near the bottom. Roll down the window until you see the bolt thru the opening. It isn't an easy job.
Thank you. I have realized there's no way around having to disconnect window. And definitely not easy or a quick fix. The top cable for the lock works and bottom one for the door doesn't feels like it's moving fine but when it stops feels like maybe it could move further. If I recall right my daughter was using that door before it stopped working and the child lock wasn't on. When I pull the outside handle it doesn't feel like it's catching on anything. So I'm thinking it's the door handle actuator, a plastic piece is broken off maybe. Whatever it is, I definitely need to get the door open to replace any parts... I will hopefully be able to do so once disconnecting the window to be able to get into it further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts