Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this rattling sound that is coming from the front passenger door on my 2014 Kia Sportage. It happens whenever I am going at fast speeds(highway) and/or bumpy roads. It also only happens when the window is fully up. If I lower the window even the tiniest bit, it doesn't make the sound anymore. One thing that I noticed is that when you close the window fully up, the upper part of the door frame around the window bends slightly outward due to the force of the window acting upward on it. I assume this is normal and happens on most modern cars as the force of the window keeps water out. Because I am only hearing the rattling noise when the window is fully up, it is probably altering the seal(increasing the gap due to the bending) at the top of the door. I am thinking of bringing it in to the dealership to see if they can fix it. Any ideas from anyone about this problem?

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Check how far the door is pressing into the seal at the top on the driver's side, the frame itself could be bent.

I've never really taken notice of what the door does when winding up the window but I'd have thought it would stay in shape, having it bend with the glass puts strain on the glass - a material not know for its flexibility.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check how far the door is pressing into the seal at the top on the driver's side, the frame itself could be bent.

I've never really taken notice of what the door does when winding up the window but I'd have thought it would stay in shape, having it bend with the glass puts strain on the glass - a material not know for its flexibility.
When the door is closed, the frame barely bends when closing the window, like less than a millimeter.

I read another user's question on a different forum for a different vehicle that is having the same problem as me. The door rattles when the window is fully up but goes away when you lower it. They found out that it was the seal/weather stripping causing the noise. The solution was to put lubricate the seal with silicone spray or wax the area on the car where the seal made contact. After reading that thread, I started thinking and I remembered that one night, I had accidentally left a door half-latched because I didn't realize I hadn't closed it all the way. It had rained that night and it is the same door that is making the rattling sound. A little water did drip into the interior but nothing major. After thinking about that now, I think I will look at the weather stripping and lubricate them instead of moving the striker plate to make the door close tighter.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
223 Posts
I had something like what you describe happen to me when I borrowed a Toyota Highlander from a relative while I visited them out of state. Here's what I found..try folding in the mirror on that side, and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out to buy a can of silicone spray. I got this one called CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. I made sure it didn't have any petroleum distillates because it can deteriorate rubber and it didn't. I sprayed it onto a paper tower and wiped it onto the seal on the door and the body of the car(2 seals for each door). After that, I went ahead and applied it onto the seals on the rest of the doors to keep them revitalized over the years. I went out for a drive and the rattling noise was still there, albeit a little less loud. I then generously applied more of the silicone spray onto the seals. In addition, I waxed the painted surfaces where the seals touch on the car body and the door. Took it out for a drive and it didn't rattle any more.

For those people that are looking for a silicone spray or grease to put onto your car door seals, please check to see if it contains any petroleum distillates. Avoid it if it does. Also, the CRC silicone spray that I bought could not be used on plastics or painted surfaces so I had to be careful whenever I was wiping it on.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Won't the residual spray/lubricant attract dust and dirt and end up causing more damage from scratches and tears of both the seal and the glass ?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Won't the residual spray/lubricant attract dust and dirt and end up causing more damage from scratches and tears of both the seal and the glass ?
Silicone grease/spray is waterproof and will not attract dust or dirt. Silicone grease is actually commonly used to lubricate and preserve rubber parts. Also, I didn't apply it to the window channels, only the door seals. I have read some posts online of people spraying it into the window channels because the window would go up slowly due to friction and they seem to be happy with it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just wanted to give an update that the rattling noise did not go away. It had came back. What I did then was took off the upper portion of the weatherstrip on the door and sprayed the silicone directly onto it instead of wiping it on with a towel. I had read another post where a person sprayed silicone inside the weatherstripping because he said that the noise is the sticking/unsticking on the inside. What he did was sprayed the silicone through the small vent holes on the bottom of the weatherstrip. I had done this also. The rattling noise still didn't go away.

After all this, I took the car to the dealership to see what they could do about it. Unfortunately, they couldn't reproduce the noise but I can believe them because it only makes the rattling noise on some days. What they did do was look at everything inside the door and everything was tight. I didn't think it was anything inside the door anyways. I went back a few days later and requested them to move the striker plate inward a little. What this will do is make the door close a bit tighter and I thought this would do the trick. They went out on a drive again and it didn't make the noise. Due to warranty reasons, they can't move the striker plate without actually hearing and knowing what the rattle is.

I also want to add that the rattle sounds like it is coming from the B-pillar area near the top. One day when it was making the rattle, I reach over and pushed the door panel with my hand and the rattle stopped.

At this point, I'm pretty irritated and eager to get rid of the rattle. What I was thinking of doing next is to take off and reinstall the window channel seal because that could be making the rattle. If that doesn't work, I might just go out and buy a star driver bit for the bolts on the striker plate and move it myself.

·
Registered
1988 Crx SI
75 Posts
I agree I have fixed similar noises on optimas by adjusting the striker and confirming the latch is tight in the door. When the noise is happening can you put pressure on the door panel and does the noise change or go away? Squeeks and rattles suck.. it's also a huge gray area for your warranty. Adjustments on your car are only covered 12months or 12k miles.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree I have fixed similar noises on optimas by adjusting the striker and confirming the latch is tight in the door. When the noise is happening can you put pressure on the door panel and does the noise change or go away? Squeeks and rattles suck.. it's also a huge gray area for your warranty. Adjustments on your car are only covered 12months or 12k miles.
One day when I was driving and it was making the noise, I reached over and pushed onto the door panel with my hand and the noise stopped. I didn't try this, but I'm pretty certain that if you push anywhere on the door, the noise will stop. I would also like to say this again that if I lower the window any, the noise disappears. Even a tiny bit down, it will not make the noise at all.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX FWD
223 Posts
Try re-setting the striker on the post to allow a little more tension when the door is closed. You might also want to try cleaning the striker with acetone and applying two turns of Scotch #33 tape on it.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try re-setting the striker on the post to allow a little more tension when the door is closed. You might also want to try cleaning the striker with acetone and applying two turns of Scotch #33 tape on it.
I actually tried to move the striker plate inward today but I couldn't get it to move. I loosened both of the bolts and hit the striker plate with a hammer but it wouldn't move. I didn't want to take the bolts all the way out because I read that there is a plate that the bolts screw into to make the striker plate tight. If you took both of the bolts all the way out, the plate will fall down inside the pillar. I had the bolts really loose but the striker plate still wouldn't move, I had no idea why. I then tightened the bolts back up and took off the weatherstrip on the car frame and reinstalled it. I also took off the window channel seal, sprayed some silicone spray onto it and reinstalled it. Rattle still didn't go away.

What I will try next is to wrap some electrical tape around the striker plate D-ring and see if that works. I was thinking that the latch in the door might rattle against the D-ring of the striker plate. If that doesn't work, I am going to buy some round stick-on rubber foam pads and put them on the pillar where the door rubber bumpers meet. I suspect that they come up short and don't press against the pillar. For the Sportage, there is only 1 rubber bumper on each of the front doors, located at the very bottom corner. I had also noticed that it will make the rattle noise whenever I turn right, but not left. So I suspect its either the latch or the bumper rattling.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The striker should move, but only a fraction:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The striker should move, but only a fraction:

I actually hit mine pretty hard with a medal hammer but didn't move at all. I had put some tape around the striker plate and marked the original position. When I tightened the bolts, they were still in the original position.

When I loosened the bolts, I got them out enough to the point where I can look into the holes on the striker plate where the bolts go through. I could see the holes on the door pillar and it looked like there were about 2 or 3mm of adjustment in all directions.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welp i'm still having the rattle. Lowering the window and pushing on the door panel will make it stop. I also tried pushing on the window and it didn't stop so I now know its not the door seal, window channel seal, and striker plate. I took off my door panel and looked at every single screw on it. Everything seemed to be fine. I added this stick-on rubber foam to the plastic friction pegs that holds the door panel onto the metal door frame. So now, the foam is being compressed between the pegs and the door frame. The rattle had actually stopped but came back after around 3 weeks. So now I know it is most likely 2 panels on the door panel rattling against each other. The rattle is coming from the top corner next to the B-pillar, so it must be the upper trim(the part that hangs on the window sill) rattling against the lower panel. I wanted to add some foam between the 2 parts where they meet, but annoyingly, Kia decided to use rivets instead of screws to fasten all the panels together. That means if I wanted to separate them, I would have to break the rivets.

Theres this white plastic piece that screws onto the metal door frame. The screw on the side of the door panel that must be unscrewed to remove the door panel screws into this white plastic piece. Added some foam behind this piece and rattle didn't go away.

On the door panel, I saw these 2 plastic pieces that stuck out in the upper corner(that goes next to B-pillar) and covered them with the foam. With nothing else to do, I put the door panel back on the door and rattle is still there.

One thing I have noticed is that the rattle gets louder whenever I turn right and gets subtle or stops when I turn left. Just a few days ago, I heard the same rattle for the first time coming from the drivers door. It also came from the same location, top corner next to B-pillar. So I assume its mostly just a bad design for the part of the door panel making the rattle.

Below is a picture of the Sportage's door. For clarification and better understanding, I outlined the top trim of the door panel in blue. This is the part I wanted to separate from the rest of the door panel to put some foam between them, but couldn't because its riveted. The red area is where I am hearing the rattle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue

Sam, I have been having the EXACT same issue in my 2011 Sportage. Please feel free to email me any updates you may have to natkins3 at gmail. com, I would say that my noise seems to be coming on my left towards the front though. You going through all of those issues have been a HUGE help to me so I know what not to do. I'm frankly at a complete lost on what this could be. Its intermittent but whenever on long road trips I find that it gets steadily more regular. I also seem to notice it more in cold weather as well.

Welp i'm still having the rattle. Lowering the window and pushing on the door panel will make it stop. I also tried pushing on the window and it didn't stop so I now know its not the door seal, window channel seal, and striker plate. I took off my door panel and looked at every single screw on it. Everything seemed to be fine. I added this stick-on rubber foam to the plastic friction pegs that holds the door panel onto the metal door frame. So now, the foam is being compressed between the pegs and the door frame. The rattle had actually stopped but came back after around 3 weeks. So now I know it is most likely 2 panels on the door panel rattling against each other. The rattle is coming from the top corner next to the B-pillar, so it must be the upper trim(the part that hangs on the window sill) rattling against the lower panel. I wanted to add some foam between the 2 parts where they meet, but annoyingly, Kia decided to use rivets instead of screws to fasten all the panels together. That means if I wanted to separate them, I would have to break the rivets.

Theres this white plastic piece that screws onto the metal door frame. The screw on the side of the door panel that must be unscrewed to remove the door panel screws into this white plastic piece. Added some foam behind this piece and rattle didn't go away.

On the door panel, I saw these 2 plastic pieces that stuck out in the upper corner(that goes next to B-pillar) and covered them with the foam. With nothing else to do, I put the door panel back on the door and rattle is still there.

One thing I have noticed is that the rattle gets louder whenever I turn right and gets subtle or stops when I turn left. Just a few days ago, I heard the same rattle for the first time coming from the drivers door. It also came from the same location, top corner next to B-pillar. So I assume its mostly just a bad design for the part of the door panel making the rattle.

Below is a picture of the Sportage's door. For clarification and better understanding, I outlined the top trim of the door panel in blue. This is the part I wanted to separate from the rest of the door panel to put some foam between them, but couldn't because its riveted. The red area is where I am hearing the rattle.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage EX AWD
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took my door panel off again today to have another crack at finding where the rattle is and I am pretty sure I have pinpointed the source of it. I took a picture of the front and back of the door panel and the red area is where it is coming from. What I did was I grabbed onto the edge of the door panel, placed my thumb over the front of the door panel in the red area, and started pressing in with my thumb. It made a tick/click noise when I press in. On the back, there is a screw in the red area which I unscrewed and it was even easier to make the tick noise when pressing in. Now I know where the rattle is coming from, but have no clue on how to fix it because all the panels on the door panel is riveted together.

It looks like the armrest on the front of the door panel can come off with some prying, which I tried, but found out it is connected to the rivets holding all the panels together.

Now that I know the precise location of the rattle, i'm going to take it to my dealership to see what they can do. I'll just tell them that it's coming from the red area in the picture, I am able to stop it by pushing on the door panel when it is making the rattle while I drive, and the same rattle have occurred in the driver's door in the same exact location. I'm also not going to tell them that i'v taken the door panels off as they might deny fixing it under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sportage SX AWD
6 Posts
Tony, were you ever able to solve this? I have the same issue, but mine on the driver's side. With my head being right next to it, it almost sounds like there's a tiny pebble rattling around either the B pillar or driver's door, but does go away when I turn left or open the window. It's making me crazy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts