Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 with the following issue with power door locks which started occurring a few days ago:
Key fob will unlock ONLY the driver side door AND will lock all doors but not unlock. The lock/unlock switches on interior of car doors do not work either. Battery in fob has been replaced. Read something about it possibly being a body control module.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
511 Posts
Have you tried pressing the unlock button twice in succession? There is a programmable option to have all doors unlock on first press or only the driver's door unlock on first press requiring a second press to unlock the other doors. It's designed as a safety option not to unlock all doors when only the driver is getting in the vehicle.

·
Registered
Sorento 2014
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have done the "double click" with the key fob. Once again, only the driver side door unlocks/locks with key fob. The other doors will lock with key fob, but NOT unlock. Also, the doors will neither lock or unlock when using the interior buttons.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
585 Posts
.... The other doors will lock with key fob, but NOT unlock. Also, the doors will neither lock or unlock when using the interior buttons.
Any ideas?
YOu have, from the start, clearly described the symptoms. I have had a similar issue, with another car, but it was with the power windows. It turned out that a ground return to the driver switch was the culprit. I'll pay a visit to the electrical diagrams to see if a similar possibility exists from a material (hardware) point of view. I agree though that this "other" car used hard wiring, not "intelligent" gadgetry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Issue

So I am having this same issue with my Kia Sorento. I have tracked it down to either the door lock relay or the IPM. The problem I have is locating either of these. Can anyone tell me where they are?

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
511 Posts
The door lock and door unlock relays are in the smart junction box which is the large electrical center on the left side of the dash behind the access panel. The service manual doesn't show them as being replaceable parts but that doesn't mean that they can't be replaced - just that Kia doesn't sell them as separate parts.

I/P-M is the center connector at the top back of the smart junction box but I don't think that's what you are looking for... it is not related to door locks. The IPS (Intelligent Power Switch) is part of the smart junction box as well and controls the door lock relay coils based on input from the lock switches and the network bus for the remotes. The other location involved would be the ICM relay box which is mounted under the dash pad on the right side above the glove box and contains the two-turn unlock relay (manages the click once for driver's door, twice for all doors function).

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
585 Posts
I by passed it by using the controls on your steering wheel. User settings - door - and un-check two press unlock.
What is "it" ? ANd user settings from the steering wheeel is available only with the higher end trim (with the touch screen). LX do not have it. FIll up your profile/signature so we know which car, year, trim you have . It helps make replies relevant.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD
585 Posts
$1318? $1498? for what repair ? Having the door locks operate as expected ? I'd use my key in the socket and manual lock/unlock before paying any such money....knowing that if it happened once, it will come again. I can live with it. So the buck stops here.
But...I still think there is a sequence of events related to at least some of the behaviour. Before and when getting out of the car, the computer (maybe) waits for these events to occur in a certain order (yet undetermined in my case) : gear selection to PARK, engine stop, key out of the socket, actual opening of the driver door....I've not taken the time yet, but I'll try something. I think the computer should have been programmed to accept any sequence but depending on the programmer, anything is possible. And since in other areas I find the firmware to be kind of erratic....I do not know what to expect....and will not pay to know...

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
227 Posts
I too am having a similar issue. It's most pronounced when the car is cold.

Now, I do have a remote start that does have some interaction with the door locks.

One symptom example of mine is when the car is stone cold, it'll unlock via the key fob. I'll get in, start the car and then start driving. I can hear relays clicking from under the driver's side of the dash, but the door locks do not lock.

When I manually press the door lock switch on the door panel, it doesn't lock. If I press it repeatedly in quick succession, eventually after several or more quick presses the doors lock.

I have tried improving the main ground for my remote start by using a star washer to dig into the car's dash metal for the ring terminal. However, I think I need to move this connection point to a better spot. Right now it's connected to a small threaded mounting tab near the top right of the fuse block.

I have had all of the door panels off to replace speakers, so I should probably re-check those connections.

I do have the shop manual and I should probably do some ground voltage drop checks.

And, my battery is down to ~450 CCA, but the car still starts fine and I thought a weak battery would contribute to the faulty door locking, but the door lock circuit certainly draws less than a starting amp draw.

So that's where I'm at with my door lock gremlin =\

I've also attached the schematics for the door locks - this is for a 2014 Sorento.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 rondo,gone , 2001 olds aurora gone, 2014 Sorento EX awaiting delivery, Finally delivered!
82 Posts
Door lock /fob issue

Mine works as intended except during a heavy rain when it occasionally it takes several attempts before it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue with the doors not locking when the vehicle is cold. Tracked it down to the relay on the junction board under the driver side dash.

Kia wont replace just the faulty relay. They require you to purchase a completely new board hence the ridiculous cost.

Going to an auto electrician to have the sm relay replaced. Will post pics and an update when it's done.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
580 Posts
Just some general info, Kia documentation is confusing the BCM,IPM and IPS are all the same component. Unfortunately instead of reliable solid state switches Kia decided to use standard $2.75 (USD) relays inside the BCM to control the door locks and power window functions. These relays are NOT field replacable and the BCM costs $1200-$1400 USD to replace. Here is another post that obviously is very complex for a DIY'er. https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/2014-kia-sorento-door-locks-saga-possible-fix.341534/

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
227 Posts
I'll be attempting to repair my lock relay issue via that linked DIY article.

However, I'm going to work on either replacing the stock mechanical relays with solid-state units and/or extend the PCB connections to outside the case so the relays can be more easily replaced when or if they fail.

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
227 Posts
I purchased five TE Connectivity V23074-A2001-A403 12V Plug-In Micro Automotive Relays to replace the stock Fuji units.

I'll be wiring a harness in place of the PCB mounted stock relays and running it external to the IPS case to the compatible TE relay plugs.

This will allow for relay replacement for when and if they fail at some point in the future.

I am also going to check the ground side of the circuit and try to improve there where possible. Maybe grind away some paint, install a star washer, we'll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just some general info, Kia documentation is confusing the BCM,IPM and IPS are all the same component. Unfortunately instead of reliable solid state switches Kia decided to use standard $2.75 (USD) relays inside the BCM to control the door locks and power window functions. These relays are NOT field replacable and the BCM costs $1200-$1400 USD to replace. Here is another post that obviously is very complex for a DIY'er. https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/2014-kia-sorento-door-locks-saga-possible-fix.341534/
Thank you so much for providing this link. It made an incredibly tricky job a lot easier.

As has been stated this is no easy task. Desoldering the pins to between the two boards was incredibly difficult.

The change of the the actual relay was far trickier than I expected. The factory relay almost felt as if it had been glued in place with the amount of solder used.

To anyone that wants to attempt this please note you will not manage this as a novice. There are many steps in the process where things can go very wrong.

Although we have some great electronics stores in South Africa I wasnt able to find a suitable replacement relay so I order 10 from mouser electronics at $2.57 each.

As has been mentioned in previous posts Kia will only replace the entire board at a cost of $1350 (in south africa)

Thank you again for all the assistance.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX
5 Posts
After spending $130 at the Kia dealer for a diagnosis, I was told my 2014 Sorento SX had either a bad ICM module/Relay or there was a wire going bad between the ICM and the door actuators. My exact problem was intermittent unlock of every door, but the driver. The ICM part is only $65 online, but the dealer wants 1,000 for the labor due to it being under the dash. I am having trouble finding a good detail of where this ICM relay is, but it appears to be above the glove box and to the right, where the whole dash needs to come off. Does anyone have any good manuals on how to do this?
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
91940-2P920​
Box Assembly-Icm Relay​

1 - 20 of 46 Posts