Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, got a major issue here. My wife's 2012 Soul is having an issue and I'm hoping someone can help. The other day I went to the grocery store, when I got out of the car I locked all the doors and beeped the horn. When I came out of the store, the doors wouldn't unlock, either with the fob or the door switch. When I got home I started pulling fuses. With the car on, and the door lock fuse out, when I put the fuse in it locks the driver door, but the door switch still oesn't function. When I use the door switch, I hear a click from the fuse box, but nothing else happens. We went out in the morning to take the kids to school, and her car wouldn't start. I jumped it and it started up fine. We took it to Auto Zone, they said the battery and alternator are both reading perfectly and the battery is charging. This morning, the battery is dead again. We took it to the mechanic across the street, and they said they can't fix it and it has to go to a dealership. Does anyone have any ideas? There are a lot of variables here, and I can do a little bit of electrical stuff, but I don't want to spend a ton of $ experimenting with parts.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,139 Posts
... We took it to the mechanic across the street, and they said they can't fix it and it has to go to a dealership. ....
Did he mention what he tried (assuming that he actually was interested in fixing it)? And did he say exactly why no one except Kia can fix this issue?

If you're not interested in pursuing DIY, then take it to an auto electric shop, who WILL be able to fix it, regardless of what the 'mechanic' said. If you want to try DIY, then the first thing is to not automatically assume the battery testing is accurate. Get the static and running voltages, and also try a load test on the charging system. If everything looks ok there, then try a parasitic draw test next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did he mention what he tried (assuming that he actually was interested in fixing it)? And did he say exactly why no one except Kia can fix this issue?

If you're not interested in pursuing DIY, then take it to an auto electric shop, who WILL be able to fix it, regardless of what the 'mechanic' said. If you want to try DIY, then the first thing is to not automatically assume the battery testing is accurate. Get the static and running voltages, and also try a load test on the charging system. If everything looks ok there, then try a parasitic draw test next.
He did not, he just said that he didn't have the codes and that it needed to go to the dealership. I read some posts with the door lock issue but not the draining battery, and they suggested that it could be the junction box, which I could do myself. I don't think it's the actuator, because the door locks when I put the fuse back in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts