Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My rear driver's side door lock actuator stopped working and the child lock is on so I can't open the door from the inside, or the outside. I am trying to figure out how to get it open, and I was wondering, if I am able to drill out the exterior handle cover, is there a way to reach in and open the door through the hole? Then I can open it, and remove the door panel from the inside to remove actuator and try and fix the spring issue that seems to be the culprit on why the actuator doesn't work.

parts:
drill out cover rear handle outside driver to allow the latch to be removed
replace actuator spring using this video on youtube

Thanks for your thoughts!

2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 AWD

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rondo 2.4l (Canadian)
40 Posts
Before drilling, I would first encourage the traditional "coat hanger" method of alternative entry ;)

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
276 Posts
You may want to check salvage yards to see if you can find a matching interior door panel. I do not believe you will gain anything by drilling out the door handle. The opening for the door handle just is not big enough to do anything. You will most likely end up cutting a hole in the interior door panel, or break the panel to get the door open.
Sites like this may help you find a used door panel: Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts | Auto Salvage

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rondo 2.4l (Canadian)
40 Posts
Actually, about the junkyard, that could serve as a really good "research" grounds to examine how the latch mechanism works on another sacrificial car, rather than experiment with your own nice car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts