Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy I'm new to this forum I'm more of a truck guy but since I got married iv been driving my wife's Kia and love it but it has two little issues going on with it.

The first one is the door locks will lock when ever they want.some times it usually occurs when shutting the door and :huh:it doesn't matter if the key is in the ignition or not. My battery was bad when replacing was hoping it would help with the problem. I'm going on 3 times now being locked out:)

The second is the ac doesn't blow cold when at idle usually meaning fan clutch out but these cars have two electric fans.. Only one works that I know of but was wondering maybe bad fan motor or is the other fan activated at another temp..

Have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX, 2007 Honda Shadow (Bike)
74 Posts
Regarding the door locks, I would suspect a problem with the remote or a fault with one of the switches. I would keep the remote away from the car for a few days and see if the problem stops. Usually when the ac isn't performing at idle but does ok while driving it means you are low on refrigerant. You may have a problem with a fan but it's more likely a charge issue. If you set your ac to max both fans should run.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
The lock problem could be either the physical door lock (feedback switch) that tells the BCM to lock all doors when you manually lock the drivers door or it's wiring.. Or less likely the door lock switch (inside, on the door panel). I have experienced the doors locking when I was working on the passengers side door and disconnected the inside switch while I was changing out door panels. Get both at a local bone yard.

As far as the AC is concerned....The Spectras don't get very cold during idle. We have two Specs and they both are the same way. I have checked the charge levels in both and they were normal...Looks like the compressors don't spin fast enough at an idle.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll have to take a look at the locks gonna have to hit up the yard next weekend and see what I can find.. With the car I don't have keyless entry clicker since iv known her ( 3 years ) there hasn't been one... I could of sworn the ac blew colder than it does now, when at idle it's almost warm..

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Most of the Spectras came with the wireless key fob... Possibly the real low end models (crank windows,manual transmission) didn't. Check with cobra259 via a pm about if yours originally came with it.. I'm sure with your VIN# he could tell you... You can get the remote "fobs" on ebay BUT it requires a KIA dealer to program the ECM/BCM to work with them and dealers like to charge $$$ to program them. Check between dealers for big price variables.
btw...
I'm not saying you do not have a "low charge" on your AC...you may... I picked up an AC manifold with gauges for under $50 at Harbor Freight...did some reading on car ACs and outside temperature variables and checked my own. Also evacuated and charged my daughter's 04 Sonata that lost it's charge because of an accident before we got it (damaged/missing condenser) and a friends large Mercury that the dryer rusted out on the bottom.. It's a good tool to have.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX, 2007 Honda Shadow (Bike)
74 Posts
A few weeks ago I changed the expansion valve in a 06 spectra 5. After a vacuum and recharge using a scale and the factory recommended charge I was getting 46.8 degrees F out of the dash, at idle, during 90 degree F weather. Pretty cold! I did notice that when charging to specs my gauge readings were noticeably higher than I usually see but I was definitely within .5 ounces of spec. Now, the temp will vary several degrees from idle to cruise but it's fairly minimal. You really shouldn't be able to notice much of a difference if the system is working properly so I wouldn't right it off as normal just yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to look into that more I'll be getting a set of gauges from my buddy this week and will check it out... And if it doesn't check out clear I will put a new expansion valve just for giggles.

On the door locks though should I replace all the feed back switches? I don't know if it's just this Kia or all of them but when I lock the doors it makes a sound kinda like a deep buzzing with maybe a slight gurgel.. This normal? If not it may be one of the actual switches on the rear passenger door.. This is all very helpful thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver door problem

For last 3 days I am facing issue with my Kia Spectra 2005. Due to extreme cold weather, my driver door do not close when entering the car and hence to hold the door with one hand and drive with other....

Later once the car get heated up then we can close the door ... Mean apps driving after 10 min..

Please suggest what is the issue and how can I fix it as it very difficult to drive in cold weather holding the door....

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please help. !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Kia 2005 was running very smoothly but in last 3 days I have notice that the driver door dot not close specially when it is e trembly cold.

There me or my wife has to hold the door with 1 hand and drive with other hand. But once the is parked in the garage then in the morning door has no issue closing it....

It cold temp.is concern then why this issue was not there earlier and why now...?

How to fix this issue..??

Pl suggest

1 - 9 of 9 Posts