Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so much prettier than the north American 5-door hatch.... Why dont we get these dammit? What think you all?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I knew I'd be single for the rest of my life I'd pick a 2 door. Family pretty much demands a 4 door. Last thing I want is to get frustrated because I have to do a little exercise putting the little devil in the back seat.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i really like the 3dr. i have had my car for 5 months now, and have opened the rear doors mebbie 5x total.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I had a 3 door hatch before but since I have family I needed to have the 4/5 door now. I don't miss the 3-door.

·
Registered
2012 3 door manual Kia Rio SLS in Graphite
34 Posts
I have a 3 door hatch so I obviously like it! :D

Here in Australia the highest trim Rio is only available on a 3 door hatch strangely enough. I think the idea is to attract young males to the brand with a sportier looking car- a demographic which is unlikely to have families of their own just yet.

I read somewhere that the designer, Massimo Fraschella, designed the Rio as a 3 door hatch originally and I think that is apparent in the proportions of the car. Personally I think the 3 door hatch is the most aesthetically appealing Rio of the bunch however I would choose the 5 door hatch myself for practicality and resale value if it were available in the highest trim and not much more expensive than the 3 door hatch.

As posters have stated above the 3 door hatch is a good option if you don't intend to start a family anytime soon, don't drive regularly with more than 1 passenger, or don't intend to sell it in a few years as they don't hold their value as well as the 5 door option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 3 door hatch so I obviously like it! :D

Here in Australia the highest trim Rio is only available on a 3 door hatch strangely enough. I think the idea is to attract young males to the brand with a sportier looking car- a demographic which is unlikely to have families of their own just yet.

I read somewhere that the designer, Massimo Fraschella, designed the Rio as a 3 door hatch originally and I think that is apparent in the proportions of the car. Personally I think the 3 door hatch is the most aesthetically appealing Rio of the bunch however I would choose the 5 door hatch myself for practicality and resale value if it were available in the highest trim and not much more expensive than the 3 door hatch.

As posters have stated above the 3 door hatch is a good option if you don't intend to start a family anytime soon, don't drive regularly with more than 1 passenger, or don't intend to sell it in a few years as they don't hold their value as well as the 5 door option.
Very well summarized - I agree completely.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Who designed our car?

So Peter Scherer didn't design the Rio?

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
oh look at the haters!

either way it's another chance to shamelessly flaunt pictures of my 3 door. We don't plan any family any time soon, but even if we did, there's more than enough room and accessibility. Besides i have a sedan in the driveway also, this thing is a work/shopping trolley.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh look at the haters!

either way it's another chance to shamelessly flaunt pictures of my 3 door. We don't plan any family any time soon, but even if we did, there's more than enough room and accessibility. Besides i have a sedan in the driveway also, this thing is a work/shopping trolley.

Are you aware of the years of pain north American auto enthusiasts have gone thru drooling over 3-door hot hatches you guys get compared to our 5????

Yeah, its nice.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Are you aware of the years of pain north American auto enthusiasts have gone thru drooling over 3-door hot hatches you guys get compared to our 5????

Yeah, its nice.

ha! Surely you get the VW Sirocco, Megane turbo, the old Fiesta XR4 (ST/RS whatever it was overseas), Focus ST etc.. right? or are three doors banned in that area heh. But it's ok, because we all drool over the features you guys get that we don't, and your better prices.

The Rio turbo will most likely be the three door so i'd imagine you'll get that... right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
thats a cool looking car. first i seen the 3 door but your right it is very cool. but like others i have a family so a 4 or 5 door car is what i need. i like my 5 door alot. any more nice pics of the 3 doors?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
any more nice pics of the 3 doors?
there are a few guys on here with them, i'm sure they'll oblige soon enough.. in the mean time here's a couple more of mine, but click the link in my sig if you want to see more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
rroyce46- Not directly but vicariously. Peter Schreyer, as Kia's Director of Design, is Massimo Frascella's boss. Massimo is based at Kia's North American Design Centre in California. So what that means is that an Italian, working for a German in the USA, designed a car for the South Koreans. Talk about a global economy!

F348- 3 door hatches sure do look nice but they don't sell very well, which is why I imagine they aren't available in North America. They aren't very popular here either and I know that some manufacturers have dropped them from their line despite being previously available. My sister for instance bought a 3 door Mazda 2 hatch 2 years ago and a month later it was discontinued.

Manuals are also more difficult to sell than automatics. I wouldn't be surprised if in years to come we go the way of North Americans in terms of 5 door hatches and automatics...

Bigguy911- If you click on my profile I have some photos of my 3 door hatch in my album.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
rroyce46- Not directly but vicariously. Peter Schreyer, as Kia's Director of Design, is Massimo Frascella's boss. Massimo is based at Kia's North American Design Centre in California. So what that means is that an Italian, working for a German in the USA, designed a car for the South Koreans. Talk about a global economy!

F348- 3 door hatches sure do look nice but they don't sell very well, which is why I imagine they aren't available in North America. They aren't very popular here either and I know that some manufacturers have dropped them from their line despite being previously available. My sister for instance bought a 3 door Mazda 2 hatch 2 years ago and a month later it was discontinued.
yes and no, i know a lot of people who love 3 door cars, and i was annoyed when the new fiesta deleted the 3 door Zetec option. For the most part though yes, they sell less.

According to aussie magazine Wheels, June 2012, page 132, Massimo doesn't work for Kia any more, after he produced the brilliant Rio, he was head-hunted late last year (back i believe) to Land Rover and is now working on the new Freelander. Regardless, they already have the great design, now to improve on it again.

Here's a video interview from last year with Massimo about the Rio.

Interview with Kia Designer Massimo Frascella | Car Advice

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not saying that people don't love 3 door hatches, rather that it doesn't translate to sales as practicality wins out in the end 9 times out of 10.

Interesting news about Massimo- thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Hatches dont sell well at all in the US; 3 or 5 doors. Compared to their sedan offerings, they are far behind in sales. Different markets will have different needs. There is the odd occasion where the hatch variants do well but its not often. Hatches initially sell well when they are first released but over the life of the model the sedan variants outsell the hatch.

The US will get cars and specs we dont get and vice versa.

I got my 3door because I wanted it and I like changing gears myself. Its like second nature. I already have a 4door sedan with the Lancer and I dont want a smaller one. Even though I have a 4door, I still want an Alfa 159 sedan.

Here is my 3door Rio:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts