Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My name is Wil and my girlfriend bought an 04 Spectra a couple months ago. It's been a good running car, but lately its started this loud tapping noise..Let me further explain in the best way possible.
This isn't to the best of my knowledge lifter tick. I own a DSM and its always had lifter tick, never has it acted like this..
You can take off from a stop and hear a small tapping noise.. Then press on the brakes and start to slow the car from say.. 35mph down to 20 and it progressively gets louder until almost stopped, then it quits completely.. It will do this for about 5 miles of stop and go.. Then not do it for awhile. I have no idea where to start..Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys, Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You would probably know if it's lifter noise; depends on engine speed rather than road speed. You'll also hear it with the car stationary.

Does your tapping noise go in time with wheel rotation? I'm wondering if it's something to do with worn drive-shafts or brake parts. Does noise get louder if you accelerate around sharp corners? That would be CV joints. Do the brakes work OK? Any pulsing with slight brake application? Warped rotors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes work fine, It doesn't do it while turning corners, and it gets progressively louder until a certain speed, then just quits.. no more sound.. nothing..
Rotors are new, pads are new..

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You are obviously thinking along the right lines. Are the tyres OK? (Might be failing internally) Wheel nuts tight? Plastic wheel trim (if fitted) loose?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyres are brand new, and did it before she bought new ones.. I've checked the trim, nothing looks out of place, or loose.. I might just take to the dealership and let them take a look. Ill see if I can get a video with the gopro, ill put it inside the engine bay to get a soundclip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts