Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on one week after having replaced my spark plugs. The car ran sluggish with a big drop in power, the full economy was horrible, and the engine was running ruff. I took it in to have it inspected and the code came back that is a bad coil. The mechanic showed me the coil and I noticed that the rubber boot that goes over the spark plug had some carbon dust in it. This was probably because I de-greased my engine right after changing the plugs and some moisture got in there and was causing the coil to go to ground. I bought some dielectric lube. After I got home I cleaned out the inside of all the spark plug boots with 409 (House hold degreaser/all purpose cleaner). After that I put dielectric lube on the inside of all the spark plug boots and sure enough the check engine light hasn’t come back on and the car runs perfect. Just a heads up to those who do their own maintenance and don’t want to get gouged for the cost of buying an extra coil.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
To Blades, that was a good analysis and repair you made. There are proprietary products (spray) available for cleaning electrical parts. They are di-electric and should be in most auto supplies. I had a real problem diagnosing my Diplomat police type car due to a similar problem with the distributor cap(my Sephia is distributorless, and good riddance). The cap looked fine ,appeared low mileage but just wouldn't allow the engine to run properly. I cleaned it off, cleaned it out nothing helped except a new cap and rotor. Good luck in future.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top