Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We were in the market for a pet barrier to keep our dogs in the back of our Sorento. I read several reviews and chose the Petgo Walky. Amazon.com: Petego Walky Guard Car Barrier for Pet Automotive Safety: Pet Supplies You can see the pictures on Amazon.

This barrier attaches to the rear seat head rest posts. With the barrier in place, the center head rest needed to be removed. Retractible arms stretch out top and sides.

It seemed that the head rest attachment secures the barrier pretty well. On a test drive with the pooches in the back, I noticed that the arms were rattling against the windows. I made some adjustments and it seemed to help.

It appears that the Petgo Walky would be easy to removed if you needed to.

There are all configurations of barriers, ranging from $36 to $170. The Walky barrier seems to work pretty well in the Sorento.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Recently installed the WeatherTech pet barrier in our Sorento. We considered the Petgo Walky Guard, as well. Nice to see a review of that option.

The WeatherTech is a different design. It uses two vertical telescoping rods to secure the barrier from the floor of the cargo area to the headliner via tension settings set with wing nuts in each rod. Thus, it's free-standing and doesn't require the center headrest of the second row of seats to be removed. And since it is not secured to the headrests, the second row of seats can be reclined, independently if desired.

Works very well and does not rattle. The horizontal "loop" bars are telescoping and can be adjusted easily. However, they cannot be "locked" into place so a clever dog might be able to put his nose around the bars and nose them out of the way. Not likely but something to think about.

Finally, the entire apparatus can be removed relatively easily by reducing the tension in the vertical rods. Not something I'd want to do frequently though since re-installation takes about 10 minutes to get the tension right and the entire barrier firmly in place.

Compared to the Petgo Walky Guard, the WeatherTech takes up a bit more room, I think, especially if it's positioned to enable the second row of seats to be reclined. And just in case it's not obvious, it eliminates the use of the third row of seats if the vehicle is so equipped.

Here's the link to the WeatherTech barrier on Amazon.

Amazon.com: WeatherTech 60010 Tubular Pet Barrier: Automotive

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Weather tech

That's a nice looking pet barrier. We have smaller pups that can jump. I needed a barrier with smaller mesh.

The nice thing about the Walky is that it is quick to remove and could lay flat without taking much room.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
I have a 4-bar version of the 2-bar that is pictured....love it...it also prevents our pup from getting into the nook of the middle seats on the lower sides.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Does anyone have photos of their installed dog barriers?

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slippery pup

Well, our Mini Pinscher managed to slip through the Petgo Walky. Rexford wormed his way through the edge next to the doors. I'm considering putting a foam tube on the lower bar to reduce the size of this opening.

Rexford spent his life riding on the center console of our old Camry between driver and passenger. So, he's pretty disturbed about being locked in the back of the Sorento.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Does anyone have photos of their installed dog barriers?
I have the WeatherTech. Anything special you'd like to see? It looks like the photo on the WeatherTech site but I'll post a photo or two if you want to see something specific.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts