1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my scenario I have a kenwood dvd 715
1 500 wat amp
2 12" mtx sledge hammer

Subs keep on turning off, the store has swapped out the amp and subs same result
more or less he told me it is my kia and that is it not in the right volts for car stereo?!?!?

I contacted my dealer he laughed so hard and dais if this was the case my lights would also be shutting off.

Now the store says that my alternator is the issue?

Does this sounds right to u?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If it was my alternator wouldn't some other weird stuff happend to my car as well. :crying:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That is so funny I just about pee'd my pants. Your stereo shop needs a brick thrown though their window. "Not the right volts", ha ha ha. Next time, ask him how many volts it is! I wanna know what he says.

OK, now to your problem. When you say that your subs keep turning off, what does it take to get them to come back on? How long are they off for? The next time your subs shut off, check to see if the power light is lit on the amp and check to see how warm it is. If it's hot, it may be turning itself off to avoid a meltdown. One major reason it would be hot is that the subs are wired for an impedance that the amp can't handle. If the amp's power light is not on, then the amp is probably losing it's trigger signal. This could be from a bad head unit (probably not) or a bad connection on the trigger wire. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the problem is just a bad installer. 9 times out of 10 it is.

The stereo shop was wasting their time swapping out the subs because that's not the problem. Maybe if they saved their money by not swapping out good equipment, they could afford some better BS.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. I'll also need the model number of the amp and subs.

I don't know how much hands on experience you have, but you may be better off staying away from the shop you're dealing with. You should have drove the 3 hours it takes to get down here; there are lots of stereo shops around here.

Not the right volts. Man that's funny.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm with KiaMech on this, that is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. That's the equivalent of telling someone their brand new TV doesn't work because the power in their house is wrong.

Let me guess... Future Shop?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not future shop A&B sound..

MTX is coming down now, I will keep you all posted.
now they told me it is my alternator?!??!

The subs I have are the MTX sledgehammer 4500
The amp is hmm of th etop of my head I can't remember darn it is to early in the morning

the 502 500 wat thunder that is it.

The amp still has power, I had the class d 300 wat amp before then they upped it to this.
Still the same result.

Before my subs would turn off, for a few seconds then kick back on , now it turnsof for 3-5 mins and I have to turn the deck on and of, ect.

Nothing appears to be dimming in my car so the alternator does not seem right to me.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It sounds like either the head unit or the remote wire to the amp.

One other thing I remember seeing that would cause this is too small power wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Came back from the dealer and when they hooked up the gage for the volts it was at 14 .

So when they cracnked the volume it went to 11 does this mean I need a new alternator? :alien:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess you could always put a big capacitor in there (audio guys call them Caps), that would ensure that a constant and steady voltage was always going to the deck and amps, but not likely it would solve the problem. What guage of wire do you have powering the amps?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts