Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have to know if the 2011 Sportage base model has an engine immobilizer in it?

I have searched the internet and there are conflicting messages.

Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage, 2011 Kia Forte EX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX
30 Posts
I have a 2011 Sportage base model and it does not have an engine immobilizer system in it. I wanted to get a spare key for my wallet in case I locked the regular keys in it and did not want the large plastic handle key. I went to an Ace Hardware store to see about getting a flat key. They had a device to check for the encoded chip in my key and did not detect one. I ended up getting a key blank from the Kia dealership and having it cut to match my key. I cut the plastic off the key and can keep it in my wallet.

·
Registered
Sportage SL
41 Posts
All European (Slovakia made) models that being sold to CIS (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Baltic countries) have immo embedded.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
all Canadian KIA's have immobilizers in as standard and have been for many years.

Falconflyer - please fill out your location and drives profile when asking questions like this, it makes things a lot easier, when as you found out in your search you are getting conflicting comments and that is because vehicles are not equipped the same worldwide.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
He's in South Carolina, USA...
So there is NO immobilizer in his car.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Considering the number of cars in the USA...We have a very low problem with theft.
Of course "if" you live in the inner cities here...that's another story...
I have lived in my home for 35 years...Never had to lock my doors... and other than kids doing stupid stuff (egging houses and toilet papering trees).. No problems!
Problems can be found anywhere in "areas" all over the world.
Like Moscow...I would NOT want to do the above in the Washington DC area. Lots of crime in the "wrong" areas.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts