Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need what is left of the warranty so I was wondering if adding a Cold Air Intake or exhaust would void the warranty? I already have the exhaust taken care of seeing as it had it when I bought it last night. Also anyone recommend a Intake?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio
22 Posts
I had the same concern for my cars, I put replacement K&N's in for now.
Once the warranty is up, I'll put on a CAI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by JasoninPrescott@Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM
I really need what is left of the warranty so I was wondering if adding a Cold Air Intake or exhaust would void the warranty? I already have the exhaust taken care of seeing as it had it when I bought it last night. Also anyone recommend a Intake?

Omg common sense. Does the dealer have to know?
Keep your stock parts and when you got to go to the dealer swap them.

Did you get an exhaust or a muffler? (2 diff things)
If you got a muffler look for 2 hp gains(dynod a 2002 rio with a muffler)
Then we made a 2.5 catback with a apexi n1 muffler, custom header and test pipe and it made a amazing 22 hp over stock. (will get dyno sheet soon. if we still have it)

Now here comes the intake part. If its a cold air intake from say a company like injen, aem, k&n where they are carb legal then no they wont void the warranty. it also depends to the dealer. Im own a exotic car dealer and if someone did put a mod on THIER car I dont care.

So heres the low down. Keep stock parts just in case.
Also make a catback. it wont cost more then another 100 dollars to make
get a ebay intake you only pay for the name
also try to find a header and a test pipe. Youll feel a big diff.

Ps remove the spare tire and stuff from the trunk.
dont put a system and look for some bucket seats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
no, it will NOT void your warrenty, according to the Magnussom Moss act. look it up, your warrenty will not be void unless the aftermarket part caused the problem, so your pretty much safe, print it out and show it to your dealership if they try to void your warrenty, The Law is on your side, arm yourself with legal ammunition (knowledge) and walk proud.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you can find all about it on www.sema.org voiding the warranty is illegal unless they can prove that the mod DIRECTLY caused a failure... I.E. you installed your cai wrong and it rubbed through a wire harness.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Just because of the mma doesnt mean they wont void it. Like said in another thread they are preaty much banking on you not going further with it if you get voided. If you fight it youll have to hire a lawyer (big money) and go to court, also if your at court your gonna miss work (more lost money).. So dont do mods if you even in the slightest scared of getting voided. Me personallyy I dont give a crap if they void me. I do most of my work myself anyways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1fastkia said:
Just because of the mma doesnt mean they wont void it. Like said in another thread they are preaty much banking on you not going further with it if you get voided. If you fight it youll have to hire a lawyer (big money) and go to court, also if your at court your gonna miss work (more lost money).. So dont do mods if you even in the slightest scared of getting voided. Me personallyy I dont give a crap if they void me. I do most of my work myself anyways.
they could TRY, but the dealership can't void the warranty, only the manufacturer can. Its not that big of a deal, mod it if you want, but be smart about it, if you go turbocharging your brand new kia, dont expect to have a warranty on your head gasket when you blow it sky high. On the other hand, if you install an aftermarket muffler, and your master cylinder fails, the 2 are most likely unrelated. Any many class action lawsuits are lost by major car manufacturers over this all the time. I just got a letter about one from a Honda Civic I owned (dont have it any more), and I got ANOTHER one for a Mitsu. Eclipse i owned before that. And the fact is this the MM warranty act is a law, and kia, among other manufacturers HAVE to abide by it....warranties getting voided for no reason doesnt happen like it did years ago. We should start a poll to see how many people on the forum have had their warranties OFFICIALLY voided by the mfr. after say....1995. I havent really had a problem with any dealer about a/m parts, and i havent owned a bone stock vehicle in a long time, and i have worked as a tech at quite a few dealerships.

here is some further reading if a dealer should TRY to do this to a member here Enjoy The Drive -- Warranty Denied?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts