Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 2004 Kia rio. I've noticed that the engine seems to vibrate quite a bit. If I look at the edge of the license play when the car is idling, it's vibrating. U can feel it in the car too - when I turn on the air con, seems to do it even more.

Also, when I reverse with the wheels
Turned in any direction, I hear a scraping metal noise. Only whenreversing and wheels turned left or right- going forward or reversing straight and no noise. Sure something needs to be replaced, control arm?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Maybe try cleaning the IAC valve for the idle it might help. Maybe brakes are bad for that noise just a thought good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's a iac? Can i clean without any special tools?

About the brakes, would nt it make that noise goin forward too? As well as reverse but straight? Only makes the noise when going reverse AND turning at the same time.

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
shynepo3...
With your car being 8 years old and unknown mileage (please fill out your cp area)...
you have the "classic" symptoms of damaged or worn out motor/transmission mounts.
Instead of the motor/tranny "floating" on a rubber mount that isolates the normal vibration of the engine from the body...it may be sitting metal to metal with the rubber gone.

The engine/tranny flex different directions in FWD/REV from the torque at the CV joints.
The engine pulleys "can" rub the frame if the mounts are bad enough. The direction change puts even more torque on the engine/tranny by flexing the CV joints.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL and don't do this in a garage! The person in the car should KNOW EXACTLY what to do and should keep his feet away from the gas pedal!
We can not be responsible for your actions!!!!

Put your emergency/parking brake on and have someone put their foor on the BRAKE pedal and then and then put the transmission in FWD then REV, FWD then REV,etc.... without touching the gas pedal.

You WILL see the engine/tranny move one way and back.... This is normal...What is not normal is if it moves TOO FAR and allows the engine pulleys to rub the frame...

This is a trouble shooting suggestion to try and may or may not show worn motor mounts....
Dave

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
What's a iac? Can i clean without any special tools?

About the brakes, would nt it make that noise goin forward too? As well as reverse but straight? Only makes the noise when going reverse AND turning at the same time.

Thanks for the help
IAC Idle Air Control, I will be cleaning mine out soon as well as the whole Throttle Body. I usually try to do write-ups when I do work on my own cars. Feel free to see how I do when I am done. Either this weekend or next.

+1 on the vibration being due to the motor mounts. I changed the trans mount a few months ago and the calmed down some. Changing the others is still on my things-to-do-list.

Not too sure about the squeaking problem. Could be a brake problem, hub bolt coming loose, I don't know.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Keep us informed on the iac and (whatnot) guys so we can pass it on to everyone else. Iac cleaning with carb cleaner

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2001
2 Posts
Hi. I know I'm replying really late to this thread, but I have the same problem and needed advice on replacing the mounts (motor and/or transmission) in my 2001 Kia Rio.

I have been trying for weeks to get a clear answer about the difference between the motor mounts and the transmission mounts but I'm still a little confused. My questions:

- What's the difference between the motor mount and transmission mount in a 2001 Kia Rio?

- How can I tell which type of mount needs replacing?

- How many motor mounts are there in a 2001 Kia Rio? I'll probably just have them all replaced.

- How many transmission mounts are there in a 2001 Kia Rio? Again, I'll probably just have them all replaced since the vehicle is quite old.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2001 Kia rio
1 Posts
Hi. I know I'm replying really late to this thread, but I have the same problem and needed advice on replacing the mounts (motor and/or transmission) in my 2001 Kia Rio.

I have been trying for weeks to get a clear answer about the difference between the motor mounts and the transmission mounts but I'm still a little confused. My questions:

- What's the difference between the motor mount and transmission mount in a 2001 Kia Rio?

- How can I tell which type of mount needs replacing?

- How many motor mounts are there in a 2001 Kia Rio? I'll probably just have them all replaced.

- How many transmission mounts are there in a 2001 Kia Rio? Again, I'll probably just have them all replaced since the vehicle is quite old.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
The difference is between the two is the engine mounts are on top and the trans mount is below the engine. There is 2 mounts for the engine mounts and one trans mount. And they are cheap enough to replace I did mine this past summer. Took an hour or so. But I would recommend to replace them all. I am also going to replace the struts and coil springs in the spring.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts