Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm planning on switching over to 16" rims for better MPG, lower priced tires, and better grip.

Does anyone have any pictures of After market 16" rims on their sportage?

Does it really decrease it's look, or should I just keep the 18's?

Still not sure, but I'm really digging the Bronze color on my Sandtrack. Pictures would really convince me...

I'm thinking on Bronze on Sandcolor. But if you have any 16" after market let me check them out.

Thanks and please.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
The only downside of going to a smaller rim is you are going to have to have a thicker sidewall to compensate.

Picture doesn't look bad though, I do like the color choice.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I've always thought that 18s with low-profile tyres were completely unsuitable for a car with off-road pretentions. 16s with higher-profile tyres would be ideal. Not sure that you'd get better fuel consumption, but the whole thing will be more robust and probably ride better.

I'd have to agree on the less expensive tyre comment. e.g. Typical 17 inch tyres are A$100 more expensive than 15s for the various cars that I have an interest in.

I like the look of the bronze. Alternatives would have to be silver (tacky) or black (evil car).

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
OP - How do you figure on better MPGs and grip? You mean reducing the rotational mass with smaller (presumably lighter) wheels? That would be interesting to see what you find. However the grip issue? You mean on roads or off-road?

Wry - Not sure that I would consider the tires on the 18" wheels "low profile". Shouldn't matter much considering the car isn't really designed for heavy off-road use.

api5471 - Looks like dicounttiredirect.com

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
OP - How do you figure on better MPGs and grip? You mean reducing the rotational mass with smaller (presumably lighter) wheels? That would be interesting to see what you find. However the grip issue? You mean on roads or off-road?

Wry 'Cuda- Not sure that I would consider the tires on the 18" wheels "low profile". Shouldn't matter much considering the car isn't really designed for heavy off-road use.
Yes, I was slightly off-beam there; I see that they are usually 235/55R18, and that being the case I can't see the need to swap 'em.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I know this doesn't contribute much to your bronze wheel/sandtrack color dilemma, but regarding wheel size I actually prefer the 18's for those with sporting intentions. I am more of a performance/aggressive driver, and I find my SX too exhibit too much plow and "squish" when driving on the 16" winter tires I use. I much prefer the feel of the 18's for my style of driving, it feels much more confident, planted and spirited even with just the stock Hankooks on the 18's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts