1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle: 2013 Rio5 LX w/ Pwr Pkg
Purchased: Mid November 2012

I went to lunch with a couple co'workers today and one of them was in the back seat and asked, "Why does the music sound so distorted?". I didn't know how to answer at first, so we played with the fade/balance controls and shifted it so all was directed to the rear speakers. Sure enough, it sounded like crap, very watery and warbley.

Has anyone experienced this? I'd hate to spend a Saturday morning at the dealer, but I've only had the vehicle since November 2012.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Try fiddling with the fade/balance so that only one speaker at a time is active. If it sounds OK then (apart from hearing only one channel), you may have a phase problem with one or more of your speakers. i.e. The wires are reversed and the speakers are fighting against each other.

OK, "Phase Problem" sounds highly technical, but you easily test the effect by reversing leads on one of the speakers of your home stereo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cuda, I suppose anything is possible. I may stop by the dealer tomorrow and see whats up.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio LX+
9 Posts
In radio settings under Virtual Sound (section 4, page 112 in my Canadian owners manual) you can turn Surround on/off. With it on I get the warbley sound also, I keep it off even though it seems to enhance the quality of the front speakers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In radio settings under Virtual Sound (section 4, page 112 in my Canadian owners manual) you can turn Surround on/off. With it on I get the warbley sound also, I keep it off even though it seems to enhance the quality of the front speakers.
thanks! I'm going to go check that now. I know I do have "virtual sound" on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okie dokie, RioMontreal was right. I turned off "Virtual Sound" and that did the trick. No more warble!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX
34 Posts
Right now I'm not getting any sound from my rear speakers. Some times they sound fine, but others there is nothing or they are very quiet. The frequency increased and now they stopped working. Its going to the dealer tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
Hi there. Which stereo do you have ? do you have UVO ? also, where in the menus do you find the surround sound setting ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rear speakers are almost useless. I wish Kia would have put them in the deck and not in the damn doors. I had to set my fade 30/70 (Frt/Bck) just to get balance right. Makes it sound like crap. I ended up turning the back almost all the way off and just listen to the fronts til I can change the backs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts