Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a couple of parts houses to buy a 2010 fuel filter (book says to replace at 35,000 miles) and they say it is not a serviceable part. It comes with the fuel pump.

WT?!?!?!?!?! You mean to tell me the entire fuel pump needs to be replaced to change out the filter?

Something's not right.

Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
I cannot speak specifically about the Kia but yes, all fuel pumps are in the gas tank and they have a non serviceable filter on them.
The filter lasts the life of the pump.
It can be replaced, but you still need to remove the fuel pump to do it.

It is a "sock" filter that attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump.
I do not know if the Sedona has a access panel in the floor or not, alot of imports do, roll back the carpet, open panel, remove fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I know the fuel pump is in the tank. It's just that I wonder why the Kia manual says to change a filter that can only be replaced by replacing the pump every 35K miles since, as I said in my posting, the filter is NOT a serviceable item. Pumps hardly ever fail.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
The only reason I can think of is for the diesel models.
But then I would think it would say in the manual "diesel engines only".
My old Sprinter said to change the fuel filter every 15,000 miles, which was one oil change.
That filter was on the engine.
We have to remember that any car that is sold all over the world will basically have one owners manual, its to expensive to print different manuals for different parts of the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To close this out, I contacted the dealer's part house and they said my owner's manual was "generic."

Contacted the service department and they said unless something was wrong with the car to ignore it.

Admins, you can close this out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe you have it confused with Fuel Tank Air Filter - recommended service interval of 30,000 miles. This is NOT the fuel filter. If you don't have problem pumping gas, leave it alone. If you must to change it, I think it is located behind left rear wheel guard - you would need to pull the rear splash guard and you should be able to see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Filter

Yes it is a serviceable part.

Cost about $24 @ NAPA.

Not easy to get to... You have to disassemble the fuel assembly canister.

D~

·
Registered
2006 EX 3.8L Petrol Grand carnival, Nissan Patrol GU
11 Posts
Fuel Filter

Mate,been there ...done that,
tried "just" changing the filter element on the 2006 Grand Carnival in-tank filter at 210000 km (second hand car, no idea when it was done)...easy to access under the mid-row seats.

Proceeeded to snap ALL the 9 year old plastic lugs of the filter housing, after a few hours of frustration....bought a pump AND filter assembly from Kia for about an extra 25 dollars.

Just swap the whole thing and get another 80000km out of it...do NOT run any ethanol with the fuel (E10/ E85 etc..if itd available)....it kills older fuel systems.

Hope this helps
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts