Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested to find out how many of you think the noise level from the GDI Gamma engine is acceptable(in the cabin of course). I personally can't stand the little ticking sound some time, especially in the morning when the engine is cold. When it warms up it is less obvious but it is there i know. Thanks to the nicely tuned 6 speed transmission always keep it under 2000 rpm and the road noise is loud enough to cover that up. However if i am doing low speed driving in the city street or climbing up hills and hv to rev up a bit, the click does always remind me the old car i was driving that has the bearing issue. Otherwise it is a great car to drive:cool:

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
Engine Noise

I've had my '13 Rio5 LX Manual for a week now and I can't believe how quiet it is. My daughter has a '10 Elantra and my Rio is much quieter, both engine noise and road noise.

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
small cars = noisy due to lower torque requiring it to rev harder
I had a Toyota Matrix XRS with a 180hp 1.8L that reved to 8,500 rpm, and I ride a bike that revs to 12.5k. I think that my Rio has good torque at lower RPMs than I expected, therefore I find myself short-shifting the manual transmission at really low rpms and i still have good acceleration. Around town I rarely see 3,000 rpm and I'm usually ahead of the other traffic.

I'm still in the break-in period for my new Rio, so I've only tested the upper rpm's a few times (little car pulls pretty good up to 100mph or so) but I didn't find it too noisy at upper rpm's either.

Fadingcolor, I don't get the 'ticking' noise that you discribed... no ticking at all. Mornings here have been approx. 50 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
yes i know what you mean, it has almost diesel like lower torque, but in my area there are a lot of hills and you have to rev each gear out a bit to prevent bogging down when you shift. My post was more a general rule of smaller engines. In my opinion, and i've said it to my wife a few times, the engine isn't very noisy at all and i never understood what all the fuss was about with being noisy etc.

the ticking of the engine just seems to be a characteristic of the direct injected gamma 3. Although for me it can only be heard when you're outside the car. When inside it's smooth and refined.

i also short shift when possible, and it copes fine, but if you need to get it going in a hurry, high rpm is your friend. Second gear in the 6M is the hero gear, third pulls hard too. It's a great little car.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
May I say the cold weather contribute to some noise as well?
i can only comment as to my climate. Here it's winter, and the lowest it got here was 2 degrees C. Wasn't any noisier than any other time, but your climate is much colder.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
The ticking may largely be due to the GDI fuel pump located right in front of the driver. Some companies report adding extra sound insulation to their pump areas.

Other than the fuel pump, I think the little 1.6 itself sounds quiet enough.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
The ticking may largely be due to the GDI fuel pump located right in front of the driver. Some companies report adding extra sound insulation to their pump areas.

Other than the fuel pump, I think the little 1.6 itself sounds quiet enough.
Thanks for giving the location of the fuel pump. Didn't know that. Yesterday, I left the engine running, got out of the Rio and walked around it. Yes the ticking is annoying and can be heard a lot. I came back in the car, closed the door and windows and I swear I didn't know if the engine was running or not. To me, the insulation is impressive. But I have to admit: strong accelerations = noisy engine but at least no vibration whatsoever. I can compare with my old Neon's engine. At idle, the car was shaking and I could have a massage only by touching the steering. Needless to say the incredible plane like noise when accelerating or kick downing. But gee, was that engine powerful! For now, I'm very satisfied withe the Rio's engine noise.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I don't mind the noise, can barely even hear it inside the car while driving. Then again, I've found a few Kawasaki motorcycles in my time and the ticking of their valves, even when properly adjusted, sounds like a production line punching out metal plate.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I can compare with my old Neon's engine. At idle, the car was shaking and I could have a massage only by touching the steering. Needless to say the incredible plane like noise when accelerating or kick down
LOL. Thats the same 2.2 they used in my old Plymouth Horizon back in '80. The same one Shelby turbo'd for his GLHS. It was a huge pos but it had it's fun capacity too.

Too bad at 11:1 compression we can't turbo these little 1.6's. but yes, they do just fine to get around. Wish i had a stick tho.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
LOL. Thats the same 2.2 they used in my old Plymouth Horizon back in '80. The same one Shelby turbo'd for his GLHS. It was a huge pos but it had it's fun capacity too.

Too bad at 11:1 compression we can't turbo these little 1.6's. but yes, they do just fine to get around. Wish i had a stick tho.
Hi, glad I put a smile on your face with my Neon. My Neon was a 2000 2 scnd generation. For that one, they kept the 2.0 with 132HP. Yep, gone was the 2,2. I had heard only good things about that 2.2. The 2.0 was notorious for it Noise Vibration and Harshness but as I said, it could toss your Neon and toss it again. That's what surprise me with the Rio's engine. It's rated at 138 HP so a little more powerful than the Neon's so why is it not catapulting the car like the Neon was? My Neon was a 3 speed ATX and just by touching the gas pedal you were at 100km in probably 7 seconds. Maybe the smaller displacement: 1.6L vs 2.0L? A clue?

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can only comment as to my climate. Here it's winter, and the lowest it got here was 2 degrees C. Wasn't any noisier than any other time, but your climate is much colder.
Sorry, may be i should have learned to add details to my profiles at the first place. I am around Melbourne arrear in the west side of city. After a long cold night my car does sound rougher before it gets warm. By the way, i am driving a SLS auto. I found a lot of members here have stick and you can always short shift before it reachs the noisy rev range. For Auto, no choice unless in tiptronic shifting mode.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
i frequently rev my SLS out a bit and it doesn't make any bad ticking noises. The only time, even in very cold conditions, that i hear a slight tick is when it's under load going up a decent hill in a higher gear (5th etc) where i MAYBE should have shifted back to 4th, and you can hear a little valve-train noise etc. It's very faint though.

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for giving the location of the fuel pump. Didn't know that. Yesterday, I left the engine running, got out of the Rio and walked around it. Yes the ticking is annoying and can be heard a lot. I came back in the car, closed the door and windows and I swear I didn't know if the engine was running or not. To me, the insulation is impressive. But I have to admit: strong accelerations = noisy engine but at least no vibration whatsoever. I can compare with my old Neon's engine. At idle, the car was shaking and I could have a massage only by touching the steering. Needless to say the incredible plane like noise when accelerating or kick downing. But gee, was that engine powerful! For now, I'm very satisfied withe the Rio's engine noise.
Yes you are right, i don't hear the engine running when it is idle, even the wind blows out from the vents is louder than that. I should say i only hear some rough running engine in low speed and running around 2000 rpm, with fainted tick. Anyhow my car is a little less than 3000k now. Hopefully it will break in well after the first oil change. Either i will get used to the noise or the noise will become softer eventually.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
Sorry, may be i should have learned to add details to my profiles at the first place. I am around Melbourne arrear in the west side of city. After a long cold night my car does sound rougher before it gets warm. By the way, i am driving a SLS auto. I found a lot of members here have stick and you can always short shift before it reachs the noisy rev range. For Auto, no choice unless in tiptronic shifting mode.
its a big help to members if you could now add these details and fill out your location and drives profile on the left side so it shows up with each posting as vehicles are equipped different in each country. It saves a lot of repeat questions :D

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had my '13 Rio5 LX Manual for a week now and I can't believe how quiet it is. My daughter has a '10 Elantra and my Rio is much quieter, both engine noise and road noise.
Some noise for me is not that annoying. I drive a Grand carnival as well. A much bigger V6 engine and it is loud. But i do not feel intrusive of the sound. And i will not say it is noisy. So i find i dislike certain note from the engine which gives me a 'rough' feeling.

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a big help to members if you could now add these details and fill out your location and drives profile on the left side so it shows up with each posting as vehicles are equipped different in each country. It saves a lot of repeat questions :D
MIssion accomplished:cool:

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just came across of an idea of changing oil in early stage. Some members in other threads mentioned oil changes during new engine break-in period let's say every 2000 k will help to reduce the rough feeling and protect the engine. Is that worth to try? I have no mechanic mind and try to learn some basic, giving that it is my first brand new car i have in my life.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts