Kia Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8
68 Posts
I just drove my 2009 EX V8 through the Sierra last weekend. We went from Las Vegas to Mammoth Lakes for a couple days of skiing, then from Mammoth Lakes to Sacramento via Lake Tahoe, then back to Seattle. In all, we drove like about 100 miles on snow and ice without chains and with stock Hankook tires, both around town in Mammoth Lakes and on highway (395). The car went up the hill, went down the hill, made tight turns, stops etc... without much problem. Of cource I read about the problems with the stock tires on snow, and I did experienced some sliding with these tires last year. So I was a little more careful with the car this time around, going a little slower, made sure that I took it easy on braking, turning etc... But I did not have any problem on snow and probably some ice with the car on the stock tires at all. From about 6 miles to Mammoth Lakes when most cars stopped and put chains on, we just went without them. I planned to put the chains on if I felt any loss of traction. But I did not have any problem, either on plowed highway, or in less plowed city roads. We even saw a one Toyota van slid off the road and one sedan landed on a snow bank along the road. But my Borrego was just solid. Still I went off the snow covered 395 back to the more reliable I-5 as soon as possible. But if I had to, I would not hesitate to go on snow covered roads with my Borrego.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX
20 Posts
I'm happy to be part of the exclusive Burrego Club! I LOVE my Borrego! I've got almost 45,000 miles on mine and it still purrs like a kitten. I'd buy another one to replace this one in 5 more years if they would have continued to make them.

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
After reading this entire thread (again), it appears that most owners are very pleased with their Borrego. Unfortunately, there are a few out there that are "lemons". It seems that most owners feel really strong about their Borrego (love or hate). Very little middle ground feeling.
Fortunately for me, I got a really good one. Never been back to the dealer in 18mos. of ownership, but, I can really sympathize with those owners with bad ones. I just hope Hyundia/Kia does right by them.
Robert V

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with KiaDad. I've had some minor issues - the gas tank and starter come to mind - but I love it overall. I have 30k on it, and I would get another one too!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts