Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1.7 CRDi (model 3 (SX?))
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps.

I have a UK spec 2012 Sportage 1.7 crdi, model 3, which i believe is similar to your SX.
I can't seem to find parking lights on mine.
When i remove the key, all exterior lights extinguish, including the parking lights.
I see no reference in the manual to parking lights either.
Do you guys have these, and if so how do you activate them ?

Sorry for the title typo by the way.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I could be wrong but what they call parking lights in the UK and what we call them here are different. It sounds like he is asking about lights that you turn on when you park your vehicle to make it more visible to other cars, especially during inclement weather. I've seen the red ones on the back of cars in Germany, for people who park along streets. Is that what you mean OP?

Sorry OP, but I can't really answer your question. Just figured I would take a stab at clarifying what you're asking.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage T-GDI, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80
8 Posts
the image shows the position the switch should be for parking lights.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDi (model 3 (SX?))
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have DRL's along with what we call side lights, which are the small 5w glass dome bulb 501's.

When i switch on the ignition, the DRL's illuminate.
If i turn the light stalk to posistion one, the side lights illuminate, the DRL's dim.
If I turn the stalk to P2, the headlights illuminate.

If I switch off the ignition, and lock the car, all lights extinguish.
A legal requirement here in the UK is to have side and tail lights illuminated whilst parked in any zone above 30mph.

However, I can't seem to find how to get any of mine to stay on, once the car is locked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I leave my (UK) KX3 lights on the first click they stay luminated when I lock the car - they won't even turn off with a second button press like they do if they are in auto.

WD :D

·
Registered
1.7 CRDi (model 3 (SX?))
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I leave my (UK) KX3 lights on the first click they stay luminated when I lock the car - they won't even turn off with a second button press like they do if they are in auto.

Just been out to the garage and toyed.
This is what I found.

Ignition and lights on or in auto mode. Leave vehicle and lock doors, all lights extinguish.
Ingnition and lights on. Leave vehicle and lock doors, all lights extinguish.
Ignition and lights on, turn lights to position one (side/parlinglights), side lights illuminate. Leave the vehicle and lock the doors, all lights extinguish.

However, if I switch off all lights, remove the key, then switch back to position 1, the side/parking lights illuminate.

Leave the vehicle and lock all doors and they stay illuminated.

So it seems, to enable parking lights, you need to switch them off and back on again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, I didn't try all combinations - I must have just got luck on the first one :lol:

I allways leave my light on auto.
Car was locked on drive.

I then spotted your post so went to check.

Unlock.
Turned lights from auto to first click - side lights came on.
Locked doors - lights on.
Double lock - lights still on.
Waited - lights still on.

Unlocked.
Turned lights back to auto.
Everything back to 'normal'.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
don't have the UK owners manual, but the Canadian version, does mention is under Battery saver function, but it looks like you already found out the answer:

With this feature, the parking lights will turn off automatically if the driver parks on the side of the road at night and opens the driver’s side door.
If necessary, to keep the parking lights on when the ignition key is removed, perform the following:
1) Open the driver-side door.
2) Turn the parking lights OFF and ON again using the light switch on the steering column.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts