Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while ago my engine seized up, i think it was because when the water pump was replaced, somebody came into my garage & started using a circular saw right next to my car & sawdust got into the open valve cover. since it was my first car, i didnt realise that when i got a job that required me to drive long distances every day id have to change or put oil in the car more often & i think that may have contributed.
anyway ive got a dead car in my driveway & before i get a another engine & pay for all the overhauling & refurbishing parts to put in it, i would like to know if its true that i can just replace the cylinder? am i totally off here? like i said its my first car & i really dont have the money to pay someone else to do it (no, im not going in & doing it all myself, i have friends, familly & even neighbors who can help) from what i hear, start to finish, it costs more to get it fixed in a shop than the car is even worth!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't help with your problem, but I too can't afford to take mine to the dealership. (1997 Sportage) If you happen to find anyone in the Orlando area that isn't a dealer that will actually work on KIA's, please post the name of the shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You will have to have the piston removed and the cylinder wall honed, then the piston will have to be replaced, the crank may be damaged and have to be replace, you will have to re-ring the piston, it would be wise to re-ring all of them while you are at it and you may have damaged your valves when the motor siezed. The cylinder may be able to take a larger piston or you may be able to put in a sleave I am not sure as the tolerances on these motors are kind of tight. You are talking about a big project so be sure you know what you are getting into before you start tearing down the engine.

If you do get the car running again, change the oil every 3,000 miles; doing so can prevent alot of headaches.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To Newbie, I doubt verymuch that the sawdust did anything my friend. But you do have a serious problem. Apparently you either ran out of oil(most likely) or overheated severely do to low coolant or malfunctioning water pump. I have seen some mechanics get a seized motor going again with a change of oil and a forceful way to get the engind turning over again. Without ever taking it all apart! If it is a manual you have an advantage there to pushing it as if you were jump starting it. If an automatic you need to get a wrench on the crank shaft bolt head. Try anything before you take it apart. And sorry , there is no way to replace one cylinder if that is even what you need. More likey you have a "spun bearing" or something along that line. Good luck and keep in touch. Speedster 1.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can repair it, but the question is whether it is worth the tiem and also whether you will save any money. Compare to just throwing in a used engine. That is involved too, but much less. I am from a part of the world that they would have repaired the engine, but then labor and parts were cheap. In US even if you don't pay labor you could go out and work. Check this websire www.car-part.com and see what a used engine in your neighborhood goes for and make sure you get some warranty on it. My 2cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx molavi, that is acually what im planning on doing, i was gonna get one from a salvage yard but if i can get one thats already refurbished & warranteed i might do that instead. all of you guys are a great help & i think i am more sure of what i have to do now. thanx everybody! :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts