Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my Sorento for over a year and a half but have probably only had it on the road for 5 months of that time. We have had nothing but problems. When I go to the garage to start the truck it will start 50% of the time. We have had it in the shop for a total of 6 times now and they've replaced the "cam shaft sensor" each and every time, only to take it home and have it die out again either 2 days later, or a 2 weeks later, we never know. From what I'm reading about the lemon laws, after you have the car for over a year you're pretty much just stuck with it. Anybody know of any similar problems? I'm so bummed ) =

·
Banned
417 Posts
I would be talking with Kia direct about this on going problem. As with many Kia dis-service Dept's you are finding out they don't have a clue as what is really causing the problem. You are just wasting your time letting that dealers Mech's use your Sorento as their learning tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is not actually at a Kia shop. The closest Kia dealership is over 300 miles away. It is at a Hyundai shop but have been communicating with kia who continues to tell them to replace the same sensor over and over...

·
Banned
417 Posts
At some point you need to have someone from Kia come to the dealership and take charge of solving the problem. Next step is to contact a good Attorney and get it into Court as I feel they know they can keep staling you till you just give up and go away. Ford tried this on me back in 82 with a problem Bronco. They just kept stalling me till the warranty was up back then it was 24 Months. Anyway I won't ever buy another Ford product I like to think it's people like me who are driving Ford down the tube. Anyway make a lot of noise at that dealership and keep on trucking.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
What's the engine code? Did they say what was wrong with the sensors they've been replacing?

I personally don't believe in lemons. I believe there are hard to find problems that can be repaired by hard to find people. Think about it...a car is made up of thousands of parts, so thinking "the whole car is bad" is kind of ridiculous.

Don't think for a minute that your dealership problem is Kia (Hyundai) specific. Most are that way. Don't even get me started on Mitsubishi...

Let's see if I can figure something out for you. Without actually seeing it, there's only so far we can go. That's probably for the best though, you know how much I'd like to borrow it just so I can drive it around and use up all the "newness" of it.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Since the 03 Sorento has the same v6 engine that is used in the Hyundai v6 autos I don't see the problem with a Hyundai dealerships service Dept. finding the problem and getting it fixed.

·
Registered
2003 EX 4 x 4
196 Posts
Note to self...Don't buy a car that doesn't have a local dealership nearby.

Sorry for all your troubles BTW.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the sorento back home in indiana when I was on leave from italy. I had it shipped to italy and we started having problems out there. they did have kia dealerships in italy but the european models of the sorento had completely different engines so they didn't know what the heck they were doing. So we ended up getting orders to the middle of nowhere, north dakota surprisingly.

The code that they get from the engine is always "camshaft sensor" what an italian that looked at it said is this sensor is in a really bad position and that it ends up shorting itself out against something, and that its the way the vehicle is manufactured. The hyundai service guy said the same thing is happening with the santa fe's. It just boggles me that they can continue replacing the same part over and over without looking for a real solution. I don't have any experience in this garbage and I'm not sure what to do. I call Kia and they give me the runaround.

Anyway, on another note, I was so frustrated last night that me and my husband went looking at dealerships for new cars/suvs. I have been reminded again on how much I love my sorento, i just wish somebody with some knowledge would help my baby

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
There are three codes that are all "camshaft position sensor". Did they write down the number of the code for you on anything?

What did they write down on the repair order?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure, will try to find out tonight. I called today and they're saying they think it may be a pin that connects the sensor. maybe i'll get lucky. will keep you updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts