Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The factory window tint is too light, been wanting to get darker tint for a while. Decided to watch some youtube videos and try DIY. Bought the 35% Black Magic tint from Walmart.

Started with the rear side windows. Planning on buying 20% on my next days off for the fronts and back window.

I didn't buy the installation kit. I used a spray bottle with just a few drops of dawn dish detergent, an old credit card for a squeegie, a box cutter, a heatgun and microfiber towel.

Didn't take any photos before install, but probably have some older photos.

Sun is around the 10:30 position (top left of photo).

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Used to be able to see easily into the rear side windows, pretty dark now, have to get up close. I'm thinking 20%.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you can see the factory tint at the top of the glass, compared to the additional tint.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
a few of the videos i watched

Deleted the one where he used a heat gun to pre shrink the tint, since this tint is cheaper and thinner than the ones they use at the shop and can't withstand much heating.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
attempted to do the back window. 6.5' is only enough to do just the back window, unless you can cut it exactly the right width.

1st attempt - cut too much off the top. pic shows how light the back window tint is.

2nd attempt - could not see the edges. so for the 2nd attempt to cut the tint, i placed a lamp inside.
tried to pre heat shrink it but b/c its cheaper and thinner than the tint they use at the shop it shriveled up too much.

I did place the tint on the inside of the back window with the soapy water solution and drove back to Walmart to buy some more tint. It was too dark for my liking. I bought another roll of 35% might try to do another install next week without using the heat gun.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Added the 20% vlt to the front windows. Almost as dark as the rears, but not quite.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i had installed the drivers side first, harder with the window vent shades. cut it just a tad too much as can be seen in the upper right side of the driver window. And even on the low setting of the heat gun it pulled away from the edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts