Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Not sure how useful people found my last DIY guide on how to remove the front grill/replace front badge. That DIY can be found here: http://www.kia-forums.com/2014-sorento-forum/137905-diy-front-grill-removal.html

Anyhoo...here is my short guide on the removal of the rear tailgate trim and replacing the rear badge. This DIY is also useful if you want to install your own rear backup camera in the OEM location.

As always, PLEASE PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you do not feel comfortable, do not attempt. Nobody here on the forums will be responsible if you mess up and damage your vehicle due to your lack of experience/skills.

WHAT YOU NEED
1. Mini wrench (as described in my previous DIY) that attaches to a 10mm hex socket
2. 10mm hex socket and wrench
3. Flat head screwdriver and a normal Phillips screwdriver
4. Box or bag to keep all the screws when you detach the grill
5. Bath towel
6. OPTIONAL - mechanic's or knit gloves
7. OPTIONAL - Aftermarket "K" Badge (150mm is correct size and currently only available from Loden)--if you want to remove the OEM badge and replace.
8. OPTIONAL - 11 pieces of trim moulding clip KIA Part #87756-2E000 . You can buy on Ebay for $6-10. These are to replace the mounting clips you will likely break when you remove the rear tailgate back panel. You can still install back the tailgate back panel with broken clips as the panel is held on by seven bolts as well. But having these clips would mean you can be sure they are held securely and tightly to the tailgate.

ESTIMATED TIME NEEDED
For your first time, budget about 45 minutes to an hour to complete.

STEP 1
Flatten you rear seats down so your cargo area is flat and you can load the trim into the back of your car as you pull them off. Place a bath towel across the rear deck to cover the rear "latch" and to protect the rear bumper from scratches.

STEP 2
Use a thin flat headed screwdriver to pry off the upper trim. This trim piece is held on by white clips and will come off easily.

This is what the trim piece looks like once it is removed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
STEP 3
With the upper trim piece removed, the screws for the side trim pieces will be exposed. remove these screws and the side trim pieces will come off.

STEP 4
With the side trim pieces removed, another two screws will be revealed of the lower trim. Remove these screws as well as the other screws as indicated in the diagram. In the diagram, it shows two plastic fasteners that need be removed on either side of the latch mechanism. On my 2015 EX, there is only one plastic fastener and a plastic square cap covering a square access hole. You do not need to remove this square cap. If you have two plastic fasteners on either side of the latch, you need to remove both of these plastic fasteners. I used a flat head screwdriver to slightly lift the fastener as I used another screwdriver to remove the screw.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
STEP 5

Use the flat head screwdriver to remove the square caps covering the bolts on the door handle. Remove the bolts using 10mm hex socket.

Once the handle is removed you can slowly pull the lower trim off the tailgate. Place the trim piece in the back of your car for now (this is why I recommended earlier that you fold your seats down flat)

STEP 6

With the tailgate completely naked, you have access to the bolts you need to remove the tailgate back panel. Remove all these 10mm bolts/nuts. CAUTION: the exposed edges of the tailgate sheetmetal are extremely sharp! It would be a good idea to wear some mechanic's or knit work gloves to protect yourself from cuts.

The nut in the middle is in an awkward position. You will need that mini-wrench to take off this nut.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
STEP 7
Disconnect the licence plate/camera harness. I also found that it was easier to pull of the tailgate back panel once I had one of the tail lights removed. I removed the (right) passenger side one. So you can try removing it as well by taking out the bolts and disconnecting the harness for the lights.

STEP 8
You can remove the right passenger rear light and gently shut the tailgate. Make sure you have a towel in place covering the latch mechanism so the tailgate cannot actually latch in place. With the harnesses disconnected, you cannot open the tailgate using the normal exterior handle. If you mistakenly close the tailgate, you will have to climb into your cargo area and trip the white plastic tab to manually open the tailgate.

With the tailgate shut you can now remove the tailgate back panel. The tailgate back panel is attached to the tailgate with a series of 11 nylon clips. On my 2015 EX, these clips are blue and are EXTREMELY hard to remove. These clips are designed to clip on once and not be removed. When you try to remove them they tend to break. Unfortunately you cannot be gentle with them. The only way to get the tailgate back panel off is to force it off. The clips require a surprising amount of force. Work from the passenger side where you have removed one of the tail lights. You will hear each clip pop as they release. The first few are the hardest to do. There is a crevice underneath the back panel that is visible once you remove the passenger side tail light. You can use that to grip onto the back panel while removing it.

I would suggest against using any type of tool to pry off the back panel as you will likely scratch or dent the tailgate. Just use your hands and give it a really hard tug.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
STEP 9

With the back panel removed, you can remove the two screws holding the rear emblem. Once you unscrew them you can reinstall the back panel. This back panel is where the OEM backup camera is located...just in case you are looking to install your own aftermarket one. Reinstallation is everything backwards from here. I would note that you probably want to vacuum the tailgate for any loose broken plastic tabs from the mounting clips that you broke off. Otherwise you will hear them rattle around in the tailgate every time you shut the tailgate. I think I broke the clips on 6 or 7 of mine (out of 11). If you ordered replacements from Ebay the clips slide off their mounts and you can slide back on new mounting clips.

Good luck! Comments/questions...please post below.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi spacedogg

Great work!

I have a Sorento 2011 (European version), and we need change the original rear camera for other OEM. With your work we will take a idea about work for remove the pieces in the trunk.

Also I would like to send the wire of rear camera until the navigation OEM inside the all pieces.

For these reason, can you help me to find the DIY guide documents to know how I need make it?

Thank you very much on advance for your support.

Best regards

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Sorento LX V6, '05 Dodge Hemi Ram
147 Posts
Very good! I like to find info like this as I plan on doing the emblem mod to the "K" emblem. Don't know yet if I can find the full emblem or just the cover, but thanks for doing the write-up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi spacedogg
I have a Sorento 2011 (European version), and we need change the original rear camera for other OEM. With your work we will take a idea about work for remove the pieces in the trunk.

Also I would like to send the wire of rear camera until the navigation OEM inside the all pieces.

For these reason, can you help me to find the DIY guide documents to know how I need make it?
Sorry...you will have to pay for the KIATECHINFO.com website to get that information. The website used to be free...but as of Oct 2014 they are charging for subscription. I don't have access to that website...otherwise I would login and find that info for you. Please note that the instructions I posted are for 2014/2015 North American KIA Sorento which has a very different rear than the 2011 KIA Sorento. Please use caution--you may find the installation is different from your vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi spacedogg,

Thanks for your reply, I thought that you downloaded the info in your pc and will be possible
share.

Don't worry, I'll think the best way to obtain this info.

Again thanks for your time.

Best regards.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Great write up - Thank you!

I actually was searching on how to replace the backup camera and came across your tread for tailgate.........

Very helpful to see the actual pics along with Kia's manual......

Thank you!

Vadim.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
Great write up - Thank you!

I actually was searching on how to replace the backup camera and came across your tread for tailgate.........

Very helpful to see the actual pics along with Kia's manual......

Thank you!

Vadim.
I too have to open it to get at the rear view backup camera. How much of the tailgate pieces have to come off? Can just the lower cowling be removed or does the part surrounding the window also have to be removed?

Does it have to be done with the lift gate up in the air?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too have to open it to get at the rear view backup camera. How much of the tailgate pieces have to come off? Can just the lower cowling be removed or does the part surrounding the window also have to be removed?

Does it have to be done with the lift gate up in the air?
You need to remove everything in order to get to the camera.
Today removed all inside panels. Pretty simple following OP instructions. The only difficulty I had was removing the 2 last bolts which are in the trunk handle. It is a 10mm head but needed to find one that was narrow enough to fit into the opening to get to the bolt, my standard size 10mm head's body was to wide. Found another 10mm head which was narrow and was able to remove the bolts with the handle (by the way those bolts do not come out of the handle, they stay in, unscrew and remove the handle with the bolts attached). Tomorrow will attempt to remove the last item which is the the tailgate back panel so I can finally examine the camera.

You reinstalling KIA OEM camera or 3rd party?
I noticed all 3rd party camera's come with RCA jacks. I'm not sure how to wire RCA jacks to KIA's plug connector.

·
Registered
2014 KIA SORENTO LX
12 Posts
tips for ya once ya get to the old camera, the yellow part of the harness is attached to the panel (it slides out of the slot when ya get the black connecter off the yellow connecter)...the yellow connecter its what you want to make your adapter.!!!!! I cut it off the camera about 3 inches from the yellow connecter then attached a rca cord about 3 inches long center of wire to yellow wire then the shield to white wire...…...then I used the power connecter that came with new after market camera to red to red 12v+ and black to black ground...…..
besure to save the bracket off old oem camera to maybe use to hold your new camera in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
tips for ya once ya get to the old camera, the yellow part of the harness is attached to the panel (it slides out of the slot when ya get the black connecter off the yellow connecter)...the yellow connecter its what you want to make your adapter.!!!!! I cut it off the camera about 3 inches from the yellow connecter then attached a rca cord about 3 inches long center of wire to yellow wire then the shield to white wire...…...then I used the power connecter that came with new after market camera to red to red 12v+ and black to black ground...…..
besure to save the bracket off old oem camera to maybe use to hold your new camera in.
Got it!
Thank you!
Old camera removed, not in bad shape and seems in tact, but everything covered in light rust. OEM bracket saved for reuse and I see the yellow OEM connector, new camera should arrive in 2 days.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
A bit nervous, hope it is a bad camera and not the head unit because it turns to a black screen when i shift in reverse. Other than no video in reverse drive the head unit works well. Guess will find out in 2 days :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Bradley!

The camera I ordered (before I saw your camera type suggestion) unfortunately does not fit with the old bracket. But it did come with a license plate mounting bracket which I will use tomorrow as a final setup.
Test attached the new camera and it worked!!!!!!!
My daughter is happy, now she can drive\park the car by her school!

Tomorrow will put everything back in, camera, panels.........

Once again thank you everyone and special thanks to Bradley Morris and SpaceDog!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts