Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received some 1156 LED reverse lights from AUXITO. You can save 10% by using that link OR use coupon code: CTRINK for 15% off!

The lights came packaged well enough and are very well constructed, with 23 LEDs! I'd also like to report that there are no CANBUS error codes or flickering!

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Monochrome photography Paper product
Font Packaging and labeling Transparency Monochrome photography Rectangle
Font Rectangle Electric blue Space Logo
Rectangle Font Tints and shades Brand Logo

Product Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Technology

I also decided to make a DIY tutorial for those who want to replace or upgrade their existing bulbs. A word of caution, there are two types of bulbs on the 2021+ MQ4 Sorento as described in the owner’s manual. Thanks to @RT0870 for the heads up on the LED Reverse Lights thread and the screenshot from the Owner’s Manual. I am not 100% certain on what determines this difference, whether it is trim or market.

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

Here is a picture of AUXITO's 912 bulb (coupon code: CTRINK for 15% off) that uses 15 LEDs:

Product Rectangle Automotive lighting Gadget Yellow

One of the best ways to determine what bulb you have is you can peek through your reverse light lens and see the diameter of the bulb. If it is about an inch or 2.5 cm in diameter, it should be the P21W (1156), if it seems smaller it would be the W16W (912) size. Or you could follow the instructions up until step 4. You can see my halogen P21W bulb in the below gif. Also, if you did not know which light we plan to change, this shows you what we’re talking about.

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

DIY Instructions:

Tools needed:

• Pry tool (or small flathead screwdriver)

Time: 15 Minutes

Instructions

1. We will first need to go under the rear bumper, under the reverse light. I used RhinoRamps to raise the vehicle about 8 inches. This is not required as you should be able to fit comfortably under the car without, but I like to use my creeper rather than rolling around on the floor of my garage.

2. Starting on the passenger side, just above the muffler you can see the connection for the reverse light.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tread Eyewear

3. This connection has a push clip connection as pointed out in the pictures below (and into the second post).

Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

4. With the connector out of the way, we can rotate the bulb housing upwards, counterclockwise. You might be thinking, “Why not just rotate it without connecting it?” You will notice the black plastic retainer (highlighted in green) that would prevent you from doing this without disconnecting the connection first in the picture or breaking the retainer device.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Tire Bumper Motor vehicle

5. Moving to the driver’s side of the vehicle there is some disassembly required. There is a semi-rectangular fairing blocking easy access to the light fixture. It is easily removed with a fastener pry tool (or a flathead screwdriver if you do not have one) and your hands. They may look like regular plastic nuts you could put a socket on, but you need to pull down on them while unscrewing them to get them free from the bolt these are also able to be removed by hand and no socket. To do this, you need to apply pressure on the “box” downward while unscrewing and pulling downward, simultaneously. I tried my best to depict this via photo. Pictures are chronological as follows: the box, the plastic nut, the retaining clips, how to remove the retaining clips and finally how to remove the plastic nut. There are two (2) plastic nuts and four (4) clips that are removed. I have seen others just remove the plastic nuts and allow the fairing to hang on by the clips, but I did not want to accidentally break or bend anything.

Automotive design Gadget Technology Electronic device Space

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Road surface Hood Asphalt Automotive lighting

Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper Rim Gas

Hand Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Watch

6. Once this is removed. There will be access to the light fixture.
P.S. – this is also where your trailer wiring harness is located (if equipped), it is clipped behind the other black plastic that remains near the wheel arch.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

7. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for this connection and fixture removal as well. This fixture rotates counterclockwise also. Be mindful of that retaining clip outlined in green in the photos.

Hood Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hood

8. The 1156 bulbs are removed by pressing into the fixture and rotating counterclockwise. The 912 style just pull out.

9. Reverse these instructions to reinstall the fixtures and the fairing to complete the installation/replacement.

· Administrator
12,623 Posts
I bought this brand about 18 months ago - front turn signal switchbacks for my wife's Mustang.

One of them started failing after three months and went with these bought on Amazon.

Computer Gadget Font Screenshot Display device

Reactions: C-Trink

· Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
244 Posts
View attachment 124328

View attachment 124329

View attachment 124330

8. The 1156 bulbs are removed by pressing into the fixture and rotating counterclockwise. The 912 style just pull out.

9. Reverse these instructions to reinstall the fixtures and the fairing to complete the installation/replacement.

Before, During and After photos:

View attachment 124331

View attachment 124332

View attachment 124333

View attachment 124334

Night reverse pics or videos to come once it gets dark with before and after images.
🤩 Wow! Excellent post!

Reactions: C-Trink

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
🤩 Wow! Excellent post!
Thanks. If I’m doing a DIY, it’s going to be good 😅. Wish I had a GoPro. I’d have already had a better YouTube channel! Going out for night pics now.

· Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 124328

View attachment 124329

View attachment 124330

Before, During and After photos:

View attachment 124331

View attachment 124332

View attachment 124333

View attachment 124334

Night Before & After:

View attachment 124345
View attachment 124346
Full res night Before & After photos. They will always lead with OEM and follow with AUXITO:
Rectangle Gadget Font Display device Technology

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.