Kia Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Dang. Well, I guess I'll take mine off then to check. My own paint job would suck, and getting it painted would be expensive. Unless of course I find black....... thanks for letting me know anyway
You can do it. Sand it well and get a spray can of tremclad enamel gloss paint from home Depot. Multiple light coats is the secret. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
117 Posts
OK. Issue verified to be the antenna. I yanked the radio, and instead plugged in a cheap AM/FM antenna from amazon (8 bucks), ran the wire up to the top of my windshield. At least I have a radio until I find the new shark.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Success! I was able to get the trim opened and off, drop the headliner, and remove the antenna. There is a SLIGHT crease in the headliner now where the middle pillar is (moreso on one side). I expect that will vanish over time expecially when my car sits on the driveway in 90 degree heat.

The Kia shark fin antenna DOES indeed come apart. The black rubber/plastic bottom is held onto the painted top by 7 small philips head screws. Comes apart easily.So, knowing that it's time to call the junkyard. I can get any color which increases my chances of a find.

Side note: pulling the lower black trim back is a B*TCH. I was able to just BARELY pull it back far enough to reach the "second hex head screw" on the upper trim. I had to stuff some hard foam in the opening to help keep the lower trim peeled back while I attemped to undo that second hex screw. Removing the screw without dropping it inside the trim was REALLY tricky. I do not recommend this procedure for someone that's not gutsy. But I'm a cheap b*stard and no way am I going to fork over $800 to a dealer for this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So, junkyards were a complete bust. Same for some of the larger online used part sellers. Oh well.

But I did find a NEW one on eBay for 158 bucks. As that's a hundred dollars less than any of the US Kia part resellers, that's what I got. It's white, but I've confirmed above I can switch the top painted part with mine. (I cannot tell you how much it pisses me off that a freaking antenna is 250 bucks retail......)

Sadly, the eBay one I found ships from from Korea (some guy selling kia parts I guess), so I won't see it for several weeks.

But.... I can wait (see previous comment, I at least have a temporary antenna in play for now.

Meanwhile, my car's rear will remain unassembled. No way am I putting it all back, only to do the full trim removal a second time. Once is enough hahahahahaha. I did pop the headliner back up, held in place by the two push pins on either side of the rear ceiling light.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh and one more comment. While I did verify that the antenna is "dead" (see previous comments), I did take the opportunity this morning to check one more thing-- the green wire powering the antenna. I measured it and yep- there's power. So... I'm on the right path.

I appreciate all the previous info found at the top of this post, and also for the answers to my questions. I hope between that and my own experience here, that somene else with a dead antenna learns what to do.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,734 Posts
So, junkyards were a complete bust.
That's weird. Just didn't have any 16-18 Sorento stock? Or didn't have the trim level that included XM?
Just looking around our area, and wow - nothing newer than 2008 showing up. Guess Sorento owners don't wrap their vehicles around trees very often.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No newer sorentos at all. Anywhere. So... Maybe that says something about the frequency of people losing control of them. So.. Yay? Only sorentos I could find were pre 2010.

It's OK. I'm ok with 150 for a 250 part. And... It's new.

My theory is heat damage to the antenna electronics. I need to leave my car in the driveway all summer long. I use "my" side of the garage in the summer for my scooter, mower, all manner of summer things.

Meanwhile my sorento roof cooks in the sun all summer long....

·
Registered
117 Posts
SUCCESS!

First, the dude (in Korea) selling it emailed me and offered DHL shipping so I wouldn't have to a wait a month. I jumped at the chance even though it was an extra 20 bucks. Worth it.

I switched the antenna guts (kept my sangria-colored shark fin TOP), installed it and voila! I have AM/FM radio again.

In other news: Anyone want to buy a peal white shark fin antenna with non-working guts? Maybe you want to change the color of your fin, or maybe you have a white sorento and trashed your fin in a car wash? ..................

In other news 2: I am replacing the stereo in my 2016 Sorento. But instead of documenting it in a post, I'm going to make a really detailed youtube video. I'm videoing everything, so people know what's involved and how to do it. The post to the video link will be in the 2016+ forum in probably a week or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh and new pro-tip: When I was putting my trim all back together yesterday after the new antenna was in, pulling that huge lower stiff black trim back (to get access to where the screws go in for the upper trim panels), it was way easier than when I disassembled it a week ago.

Why? Because my car had been sitting in the hot sun all day yesterday.

So: Let the sun just COOK your car before doing this. The lower trim will be quite a bit more flexible.......................

41 - 49 of 49 Posts