Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L AWD
23 Posts
I see there are ones that you don't have to take the entire antenna off. You can take the pole out and put a shark fin over the mount. It has a cable that screws into where the pole was. Is something like that as good?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I see there are ones that you don't have to take the entire antenna off. You can take the pole out and put a shark fin over the mount. It has a cable that screws into where the pole was. Is something like that as good?
I weighed that option but couldn't find a model that fits our antennas base...our base is too large for most aftermarket shark fin covers to sit on top fully...also I read the reception isn't good, must be because OEM antenna has an internal amplifier, the cover-type is not compatible with it. Decided to get the hyundai OEM.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L AWD
23 Posts
Ok. That was my next question as I couldn't find one for the sorento. But I know the santa fe is very close to the sorento.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok. That was my next question as I couldn't find one for the sorento. But I know the santa fe is very close to the sorento.
Yes...santa fe, tucson, sportage and Sedona seems to use same antenna. In this thread there are at least 2 models that fit.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
Hmm, i wonder why my LX has a shark fin already. perhaps its a canadian thing with yours not having it, but i have the lowest model, so it does make me wonder why it even has it to start with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have navigation in your vehicle? I need to replace my antenna but have found there are different models if you have nav or not. I have navigation and want to ensure this type of antenna would work for me.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
726 Posts
A bit off topic but relative enough I think. I like the stubby antenna better than the fin, think I get better reception and it's removable. However, when removing it and then going through a car wash, is it allowing water into the sensitive electronic parts or is that sealed off? Thought that maybe Kia would have included a plug to put in while the mast was removed for car wash purposes.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Soul, 2016 Kia Sorento
117 Posts
I am possibly faced with having to replace my antenna (16 sorento). Shark fin. I think mine is dead. My reception is CRAP now.

I have a stupid question: What is the purpose of removing all of that side trim? Why not just remove the two headliner pushpins on either side of the lamp, drop the middle of the headliner a wee bit and and squeeze my hand in to unbolt the antenna? What weird obvious thing am I missing here?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Do you have navigation in your vehicle? I need to replace my antenna but have found there are different models if you have nav or not. I have navigation and want to ensure this type of antenna would work for me.
Oh boy...I missed this. I didn't have at the moment I switched the antenna but it would have worked anyway because the GPS receiver is embedded in the fin antenna and has the connectors for it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A bit off topic but relative enough I think. I like the stubby antenna better than the fin, think I get better reception and it's removable. However, when removing it and then going through a car wash, is it allowing water into the sensitive electronic parts or is that sealed off? Thought that maybe Kia would have included a plug to put in while the mast was removed for car wash purposes.
I doubt water would get in. It would defeat the purpose of making it detachable.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am possibly faced with having to replace my antenna (16 sorento). Shark fin. I think mine is dead. My reception is CRAP now.

I have a stupid question: What is the purpose of removing all of that side trim? Why not just remove the two headliner pushpins on either side of the lamp, drop the middle of the headliner a wee bit and and squeeze my hand in to unbolt the antenna? What weird obvious thing am I missing here?
There isn't enough room for the headliner to drop...you might try doing without removing the side panels but chances are very high you would crease it or even crack it...it's really tight. I feel the way I did I was already pushing my luck but maybe there is a better, simpler way.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I doubt water would get in. It would defeat the purpose of making it detachable.
My wife has one of those whip antennas on her Kia Soul. When you unscrew the whip (ie, to go through a car wash), the "socket" where it screws in is completely solid. No water goes anywhere.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There isn't enough room for the headliner to drop...you might try doing without removing the side panels but chances are very high you would crease it or even crack it...it's really tight. I feel the way I did I was already pushing my luck but maybe there is a better, simpler way.
OK. I thought so. One more question, do you actually REMOVE the rubber weatherstripping before removing the light grey trim panels? Your instructions say to remove it, but it doesn't appear removed in the photos. I've checked it out, "feels" like I can remove the light grey panels without actually pulling the weatherstripping off?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK. I thought so. One more question, do you actually REMOVE the rubber weatherstripping before removing the light grey trim panels? Your instructions say to remove it, but it doesn't appear removed in the photos. I've checked it out, "feels" like I can remove the light grey panels without actually pulling the weatherstripping off?
I only pulled it out where it meets the panels, I guess that's what I meant to say :).....one needs to detach it from the chassis' edge so there is room to stick in the trim removal tool (or screwdriver) and pry out the panel.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,275 Posts
Great post! Excellent write up! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Another question (thank you): Do you know if the "board" (circuits) are "removeable" from the shark fin? Specifically, if I'm going to possibly be hunting for one at the junk yard, I'm hoping I can find ANY shark fin in the right year range, and then swap the guts, as finding one in my car's exact color (Sangria in my case) is going to be near impossible.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Another question (thank you): Do you know if the "board" (circuits) are "removeable" from the shark fin? Specifically, if I'm going to possibly be hunting for one at the junk yard, I'm hoping I can find ANY shark fin in the right year range, and then swap the guts, as finding one in my car's exact color (Sangria in my case) is going to be near impossible.
I don't remember if it had screws underneath. But in any case you could have it painted or paint it yourself gloss black lol....black matches any color.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dang. Well, I guess I'll take mine off then to check. My own paint job would suck, and getting it painted would be expensive. Unless of course I find black....... thanks for letting me know anyway

21 - 40 of 49 Posts