Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought of writing this DIY to share my experience when replacing the stock antenna of my 2016 Sorento EX Turbo (Canada Version). Decided to replace it because I like better how the shark fin looks compared to the old-fashioned roof-mounted whip antenna and also I was afraid the carwash brushes might rip it off or break it.

Antennas.jpg

I considered the Mark II VG model, marketed by a Canadian company in B.C., yet design didn't convince me entirely, it's too bulky and dolphin-like round fin. Dealership retails the OEM shark fin for CAD 500 plus tax, with the explicit warning of not fitting any other trim than an SX (Big lie).

After reviewing the Repair Service Manual I got an idea of how my antenna's connection looked. It also gave details on each pin's service type (XM Radio, FM/AM and Navigation). Wanted to confirm that my vehicle had same plug as described in the manual so I dropped the rear headliner's edge to have access to the connector (Follow step 1 below). Confirmed it looks exactly as the repair manual.

Started searching the web on the hunt for a potential candidate and came across a 2015 Hyundai Tucson OEM model (962102S800TCM) that seemed to fit my connector.

Hyundai Antenna.jpg

Did some research with Hyundai folks down in the States (Canada Hyundai manages different part numbers) who shared the wiring details.

Hyundai's Shark-fin Antenna wiring.

Bingo! Documentation confirmed it would work out. Took the leap and ordered the part from the ebay seller in Texas.

When I received the package, before taking apart my car's trunk, I briefly repeated the exercise of dropping the headlining's rear edge to ensure the antenna worked. Considering that when testing, the power was still plugged to the pole antenna (Antennas have an internal amplifier), it worked pretty well.

Checked the repair manual's section to replace the antenna, hell of a process!!! According to it, you'd need to disassemble half interior trim to get to it. Knowing the pins and screws location, decided to go on my own way.

1) Snap out the rear lamp cover using a small flat screwdriver. Then remove the 2 screws using a Phillips screwdriver and pull down the lamp assembly. Unplug the power connector.

Rear Lamp.jpg

2) Gently remove the trunk's left weatherstrip and pry the lower trim with your fingers. It's held by pressure pins that come off as you pull the section out freehand. Separate that section only until the C-section window. I strongly recommend you apply counter-force to the trim with the other hand to avoid breaking the clips when they come out.

Trim Screws.jpg

3) While pulling with one hand to create a gap, use the other one to loosen up 2 screws at the bottom of the upper trim with a 10 mm socket. Take out also the third screw that is hidden behind the ABS logo (Cap comes out by prying with a flat screwdriver on the rear side of it). Gently pull out the trim, there are few push-pins holding it in place. Then just slide it upwards to remove.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the opposite (Right) side of the trunk.

trims removed.jpg

5) Using a trim removal tool or a small wrench, remove 2 push-pins holding the headliner's rear section. I used one that came with Ikea furniture.

6) Slowly bring down the headliner at the middle, where the rear lamp sits, enough as to slide your hand (palm up) in all the way up to the antenna's base, DO NOT FORCE the headliner too much as it may crease at the folding points. Mine did crease a little bit but disappeared couple of hours later.

7) Unplug the grey connector near the rear lamp and the power connection (one single terminal) at the very bottom of the antenna.

8) Using a 3/4" socket, remove the nut that holds the antenna. Then, push the antenna's base up until it pops out the roof.

9) Insert the new antenna and go for a drive test before assembling the whole thing back. Follow reverse order to complete the task. Make sure the antenna's nut is tightened properly or water may leak in screwing the whole effort.

End to end installation took me less than an hour, even without proper tools. So far, I haven't noticed any difference signal-wise. FM/AM and XM Radio work exactly as before. More pics to follow.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
33 Posts
I'm running into some issues with roof-top cargo boxes interfering with my whip antenna and came across this thread. OP: Are you still happy with the new antenna? Any issues since installation of the Tuscon version?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm running into some issues with roof-top cargo boxes interfering with my whip antenna and came across this thread. OP: Are you still happy with the new antenna? Any issues since installation of the Tuscon version?

Thanks!
No issues at all. Only thing I've noticed is the FM/AM reception is not as good as with pole antenna while driving out to the country side, but I'm ok with it since I still got Sirux XM and don't go out that often. In the city, I don't see any difference.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
33 Posts
No issues at all. Only thing I've notice is the FM/AM reception is not as good as with pole antenna while driving out to the country side, but I'm ok with it since I still got Sirux XM and don't go out that often. In the city, I don't see any difference.
Thanks for the follow up!

·
Registered
kia sportage td platinum 12
17 Posts
OOW good on ya mate,

Hi Josuet,

You are one intelligent and adventurous person. I am in the process of buying a (top of the range) Hyundai Santa 2016/17 which is much the same as the Kia Sorento, the Hyundai Santa Fe still arrive here in Australia with the squiggle type antenna and I have asked EVERYONE about my great desire to have a MODERN 21st century 'SHARK FIN' type antenna fitted to my new 2016/17,

Which they now come standard on the Australian Kia Sorento's and most other counties on the Hyundai Santa FE ie USA and the UK and I think Canada now.

I could not attempt or undertake what you have done and I don't think my Hyundai service department could or be willing to do either.

I will live with the antiquated squiggle type antenna on my 2016/17 Hyundai Santa Fe in envy of the modern Shark fin !!

Well done mate 10/10.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 3.3L AWD
23 Posts
Where is this bought from? Do they have any to match the color of my vehicle? And how long did it take to pull trim apart and change the antennae?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is this bought from? Do they have any to match the color of my vehicle? And how long did it take to pull trim apart and change the antennae?
Bought mine from an eBay seller but you can order same part as @graphite16's from the dealership. Color doesn't have to match your paint, it's up to you. Took me less than an hour to install.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts