Kia Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
173 Posts
As someone mentioned earlier, I think these positioning LED's (parking lights) are too dim to be used as DRL's.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V6
2 Posts
We just got a 2019 LX v6 (US model) which has a strip of LEDs below the projectors instead of the eyebrow earlier models have. No DRL at all on this car. And yet, "DRL" is molded into the lens of the headlight assembly, alongside the other normal DOT markings (see attached pic). So I have to wonder if the LEDs can be made to function as actual DRL.

As parking lights, they're very dim during the day and would be worthless as DRL. If I can find the time, I'll try to see how much voltage is being fed to the LED strip in parking light mode. I really have to wonder if it's getting 12v (or vbatt/alternator voltage) but there's a controller using PWM to reduce apparent brightness. I'd need a scope to tell for sure, but maybe a video camera would be able to capture that telltale flicker of PWM... Would be nice if it turns out that's all it is, and then I just need to trigger something on the LED controller to enable full brightness DRL mode!

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2019
17 Posts
Gave the module a design refresh...to make the assembly process a bit simpler...function-wise it's still the same..I'm working on a new design to add the switchback function.
Josuet,
Been following this thread. I have a US 2019 Sorento LX and would like to add the DRL feature. Will your module work on my car? If so, what is the price for two units? Thanks for designing this item!

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2019
17 Posts
Josuet,
Been following this thread. I have a US 2019 Sorento LX and would like to add the DRL feature. Will your module work on my car? If so, what is the price for two units? Thanks for designing this item!
Hi. I'm not sure if it will work as the 2019 model changed slightly. The positioning lights are now at the bottom. Not sure if the connector are the same. Can u take a pic of the headlight assembly interior? Driver side, under the low beam socket where the led controller is.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Josuet,
I have attached pics of my 19 Sorento as requested. Looks like the orange wire with the white connector goes to the LED DRL. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento LX 2019
17 Posts
thanks for the pics. None shows what I'm looking for :D....this is what I need to see, check my pic.
Josuet,
I don't understand what I'm looking at. Is this pic looking at the headlight ass'y from below? Are you looking inside the headlight ass'y through the removable caps? If you can provide some geography of the pic it will make it easier to determine how I need to take the pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD
2 Posts
Hi guys i want to know if someone of you have figured out something to only have the led strip as drl i don't understand why they didn't use the led strip as drl. The high beam dimmed look ugly.

Thx

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD
2 Posts
Do you still make this stuff ? And i wonder do we have to keep the highbeam as drl or we can have only the led strip ?

Thx

81 - 87 of 87 Posts