Kia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
835 Posts
I haven't gotten to mine yet primarily because I have HIDs. @josuet, have you figured out the HID setup?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I haven't gotten to mine yet primarily because I have HIDs. @josuet, have you figured out the HID setup?
No. For HIDs with auto-leveling, there is no way to do it from the Low Beam opening. It's nearly impossible. The auto-leveling mechanism is right in the middle, making impossible to bypass the LED controller. Easiest way is to drop the bumper. It's fairly simple as long as you have another pair of hands for help.

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
835 Posts
Where is the connector located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Where is the connector located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's behind the auto leveling mechanism at the bottom of the headlamp. If remove the bumper, headlamp has a round cover on the bottom...unscrew it and there you will see both connectors.

Here is a pic from another forum member

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
It was a little tough but finally got my DRL modules installed. Thanks for all your help @josuet.
I like your bug deflector, does it also prevent chips to the paint on the hood? my Sorento is black and i notice small chips on the hood and its driving me nuts. I really like how it is dark black smoked color against the white paint. Should I get a solid black or more of a smoked black clear type for a black Sorento ?

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's behind the auto leveling mechanism at the bottom of the headlamp. If remove the bumper, headlamp has a round cover on the bottom...unscrew it and there you will see both connectors.

Here is a pic from another forum member

Looks like someone has swapped out the stock HIDs on the SXL. I see a Morimoto ballast. I tried removing the red connector from the stock ballast and couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Finally got this done on my SXL with factory HIDs.

It is much simpler for us in terms of wiring except the bumper removal part. Ignore section 4.1 which requires fishing the module wire, etc.

1. Remove the stock bumper. There are youtube videos and threads here. Its easy to remove/install again later once you do it as the tabs loosen a bit. No need to disconnect the front camera and fog light connectors. Just place it down close the car.
  2. Remove the Stock headlight assemblies by removing the 3 (10mm and 12mm sockets) screws at the top. They are locked at the bottom so you will have wiggle and pull but don't bump on the metal parts.
  3. Remove the round LED access cover on bottom and the HID ballast. I was not able to remove the the main ballast connector (with red rubber boot). So I just let the ballast hang on the side.
  4. Slide the KSO16 DRL module through the ballast opening. Fish the LED inline harness towards the left LED opening alongwith the green wire.
  5. There are two connectors. One with black-brown wires which is the Stock parking light trigger. Other is the LED harness connector that is the controller. Disconnect the stock LED connector and connect the KSO16 harness inline while matching the red wires. Press the connectors tight for a secure fit. Not too tight as the module connectors are delicate. I used a small flat head precision driver to slowly pry the stock LED connector off. Use it to push the harness connector in too. The space is tight to connect the both the KSO16 connectors in that small slot. So I slid my finger from the ballast opening to hold the stock connector.

6. For SXL with HIDs, ignore the 4.1 section. Its easy for us in terms of wire splicing. Just splice the green wire to the brown wire from from the stock parking light connector. Its recommended to use posi-taps but I couldn't find any locally and was late to order online so I used quick splice connectors. I know it might void the warranty if the LEDs burn out. They should work fine for another 8-10 years so I might sell the Sorento before that anyway.

·
Registered
835 Posts
  • Remove the cover for the High beam, Now fish the ground black wire from the module towards the high beam opening and out. Pull the tab on the outside of the H7 connector a little with the precision driver and remove the cover. Then insert the driver in the negative terminal from the front and push the tab outward to remove the H7 ground connector out altogether. Strip the module ground wire enough to wrap it around the connector and insert the H7 ground terminal back in the socket. Put the socket cover on. No need to fish it from the other end as the instructions say, It stays secure between the terminal, socket and the cover.

·
Registered
835 Posts
  1. Now remove the black L-shaped rubber cover for the moisture drain and fish the ACC red wire from the module through it. I removed the foam piece out and then put it back in before installing the L-shaped cover back. I extended the ACC wire by soldering a long wire (about 6-7 ft) of similar gauge. I didn't have small enough heat shrink so I just covered it in electrical tape. I covered it in a flex sleeve and zip tied it.

Tuck in the wire on the LHS as shown.

Also for those wondering about add-a-fuse, I used the power outlet fuse location to get ACC power. Put the stock fuse in the bottom slot and the 5A fuse for the DRLs in the top slot that is inline with the red wire (makes logical sense, no!)

2. Install everything back and you are good to go. The LHS (sitting in the car) bumper tabs are bit hard to put back so I installed the bumper fully in slightly towards the Left first and then pulled the tabs over the locks. Then I moved on to the RHS and installed the the tabs which went in easily. Make sure the top tabs inside the engine bay over the grill fit properly over the front frame rail hooks. It's easy to miss them.
  3. Test according to the instructions but a simple test is when the eyebrow lights come on with just ACC on.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Man, our eyebrows are just so hard to see. There has to be a way to make a DRL mod jump out of the front of the vehicle and grab some attention (to let other traffic know we're there) I know there have been some valiant attempts, but I'm not sure anyone has hit the mark yet..... If you have hit the mark, post photos and tell us what you did to make them super-bright. And perhaps you didn't even use the eyebrow housing, perhaps you used a different approach.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pics with the stock Parking lights on in daylight. You almost can't see them from a distance - USELESS

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pics working as DRLs with the KSO16. Just a little bit brighter. You can see the stock Mazda6 DRLs are so much brighter.

Hey, atleast my Sorento is white as its highly visible in bright sun. DRLs will matter more in low light conditions not dark enough for headlights to turn on anyways. So I am happy with the result.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Pics working as DRLs with the KSO16. Just a little bit brighter. You can see the stock Mazda6 DRLs are so much brighter.

Hey, atleast my Sorento is white as its highly visible in bright sun. DRLs will matter more in low light conditions not dark enough for headlights to turn on anyways. So I am happy with the result.
In the last pic you can barely see the Mazda's...but Agree, I wish they were brighter. I might try to experiment with my own, running them on higher voltage...wont feel good anyway If I had to take my Sorento in for warranty lol :D:nerd:;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
In the last pic you can barely see the Mazda's...but Agree, I wish they were brighter. I might try to experiment with my own, running them on higher voltage...wont feel good anyway If I had to take my Sorento in for warranty lol :D:nerd:;)
Always install an override switch, then no worries with angry dealership >:D

·
Registered
Kia Sorento XM FL 2014 2,4
2 Posts
1. They are perfect, not too bright not too dimmed. You can see them from the distance as a regular DRL. (will take a day Pic)

2. It's hard to tell exactly, to my eyes it's exactly the same.

3. OEM LEDs run on 12.5~12.7 volts at 63 miliAmps....for safety, I'm limiting the output voltage to 12.3 volts. I could make them brighter but I didn't want to push my luck.
Hello JOSUET, I am very interested in making my Kia Sorento 2014 XM FL LED eyebrows brighter as DRLs, like shown here . Unfortunately mine are only working as positioning lights when parked and not seen during day light especially under sun, and Korean guy from this links does not ship his module internationally (I am from Kazakhstan), this Korean guy inscreased brightness from 2W upto 10W to make them work brighter. My questions are following:
1) In order to make LED eyebrows work as DRLs do I need to have 2 Modules for each LED strip on right and left? Or 1 module is enough?

2) I saw your pictures, and it seems you did not increase brightness considerably. However if I try to increase brightness by adding voltage via DC-DC Voltage step-up regulator (alternative ones)

Will I be able to make LED eyebrows brighter? I mean if I just use alternative voltage booster.

3) is it mandatory to disconnect OEM LED eyebrow controller?

4) If possible can you please send circuit drawing, pictures or anything you have to my email? because I can not see all pictures in this forum.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
My questions are following:
1) In order to make LED eyebrows work as DRLs do I need to have 2 Modules for each LED strip on right and left? Or 1 module is enough?

2) I saw your pictures, and it seems you did not increase brightness considerably. However if I try to increase brightness by adding voltage via DC-DC Voltage step-up regulator (alternative ones)

Will I be able to make LED eyebrows brighter? I mean if I just use alternative voltage booster.

3) is it mandatory to disconnect OEM LED eyebrow controller?

4) If possible can you please send circuit drawing, pictures or anything you have to my email? because I can not see all pictures in this forum.

Thank you very much
A1: Yes, you need 2 modules. One for each led strip (headlamp).

A2: Yes, you will be able; however, I don't know how bright you can get before burning them. Remember they aren't designed to withstand such amount of current. Not to mention the heat dissipation.

A3: Yes, one needs to bypass the LED controller. Technically, you could tap directly to the wires going from the led controller to the led strip, BUT, while running as DRLs you will be sending reverse current to the led controller, NOT A GOOD IDEA, especially at transition times (when switching from headlights mode to DRL mode).

A4: I'll send you what I have but remember I designed them for a 2016. I learned that 2014-2015 are wired differently.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento XM FL 2014 2,4
2 Posts
A1: Yes, you need 2 modules. One for each led strip (headlamp).

A2: Yes, you will be able; however, I don't know how bright you can get before burning them. Remember they aren't designed to withstand such amount of current. Not to mention the heat dissipation.

A3: Yes, one needs to bypass the LED controller. Technically, you could tap directly to the wires going from the led controller to the led strip, BUT, while running as DRLs you will be sending reverse current to the led controller, NOT A GOOD IDEA, especially at transition times (when switching from headlights mode to DRL mode).

A4: I'll send you what I have but remember I designed them for a 2016. I learned that 2014-2015 are wired differently.
Thank you very much for your answer. I am waiting for any drawings or pictures that could help me to solve this issue with DRL eyebrows. Generally saying many Sorento owners of 2013-2014 are eager to find the solution for this problem, but up to now no one in Russia or Kazakhstan solved it.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Gave the module a design refresh...to make the assembly process a bit simpler...function-wise it's still the same..I'm working on a new design to add the switchback function.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts