Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,We just got a 2013 Kia Soul Base.It has 2600 miles on it and I'm worried sick that puttin that many miles on the first change is not good for the new ride...I called the dealer and they want $30 bucks for an oil change and should treat it like any other oil change.. i like to change my own oil and will probley change it at 5,000 instaed of 7,500 as the dealer says. So can I do it myself or will that void the warrenty? We really like our new Soul.Thanks,Toddnick

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Document and keep receipts for the oil and filters and you will be good. I would recommend using KIA factory filters to avoid any warranty issues should the arise. You can buy KIA filters off Ebay really cheap too. You have to buy five or six at a time, but you end up paying around three to four dollars a filter this way. I have done this since my car was new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you

Thanks...I was planing on using there filters.The guy at the Kia shop told me the Kia oil filters hold pressure so after the car is turned off its still "Pressureized" as far as having oil pressure when you first start up..Oh these Guys...so smart !! So just to be sure ,where were you told about it being ok about changin your own oil?.Just in case I want to have more to say than"Oh this guy on the Kia Forum told me" haha But seriously Is it stated somewhere? Thanks Toddnick

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't know that it is stated anywhere, but common sense tells me that as long as the oil is changed at regular intervals, using the proper oil, and using KIA filters, then there could not be any warranty issues. I suppose if you did something dumb like, forget to tighten the filter or cross thread the drain plug, then it would be a different story. If I remember correctly, when I bought mine, I did ask the service manager about changing oil and he said no problem but did recommend using factory filters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told the same thing about using there filters..But when I asked about changing my own oil they said that Kia is "Kind of wierd" about that.... So is it BS or ok to change my own oil. I too would think that it would be "Common sence" but in this day and age common sence is out the window......don't you think...Thanks,toddnick

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was told the same thing about using there filters..But when I asked about changing my own oil they said that Kia is "Kind of wierd" about that.... So is it BS or ok to change my own oil. I too would think that it would be "Common sence" but in this day and age common sence is out the window......don't you think...Thanks,toddnick
As long as you follow the advice given to you above, you'll be fine. They can't force you to use their service department for oil changes, repairs, etc. As long as you keep receipts, follow the directions on kiatechinfo.com and all, you'll be fine. How do I know this??? I've been in the autoparts business for 18 years now. I also am friends with several mechanics that work for either themselves or independent shops. If we were forced to have our vehicle serviced at the dealer, neither I nor any of my mechanic friends would have jobs.

As a side note, I am trying to get back to the filter rep about Kia and using only Kia filters. I have always used Wix and since what we sell are rebranded Wix filters, I am curious as to why they would not be good enough to use on my Rio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil thoughts

Hey Mutt,well I'm feeling better all the time about doing my own maintence.Thanks for the advice...I was told the kia oil filters will hold pressure so when you fire up your car it already has oil pressure... is that right? If so Thats a good plan....The more I look into my Kia Soul the more I like it.I did notice that on the last 2" on my dipstick is "textured" for lack of a better word. Its ruff and it seems you can read your oil level better.Now did they do that for that reason OR is that from something in the oil...?I remember when I added some Prolong to my Subaru Brat it changed the color of the dipstick... So thanks again for any thoughts...Toddnick.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's an exploded view of an oil filter:

What they are most likely referring to is the anti-drainback valve. This keeps oil in your engine instead of draining back into the filter and keeps you from having a dry start.

I'm pretty sure the section on the dipstick is that way for the reason you said, to be able to read your oil level better. My Rio's dipstick is a different shade of gray on the end where the oil level is measured.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know when I saw that on the end of the dipstick i thought these guys really are going out of there way just so you can read your oil level better.If you feel it its ruff. the more I learn about this little base Soul the more impressed I am.I just turned 60 last summer and just in my lifetime I have seen some serious auotmobile advancements. Flat head 6's with felt oil seals and grease zerts on EVERYTHING...even on the clutch linkage... Does the Soul even have any zerts? I know that modern ball joints can last 200,000 miles(well on subarus anyway) so would a zert give you another 200,000 haha Anyway great car and great site for Kia information,Toddnick

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's why I joined after I bought my Rio. I joined a paintball forum a few years back that was marker/gun specific to learn everything I could about that marker and to find answers should I have any problems. That's why I joined here too. To find the best aftermarket parts, see what ( if any) problems other people have had, and to just interact with other Kia owners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I called Kai Global....Ta Da.... The girl I talked to said that yes i can change my own oil if I keep good records in the back of the owners manual. Oh and use there filters and fulids...that seemed wierd, i can see the filter but I must use there oil too? I hope thats not true.the dealer up here uses Chevron and i want to use Castrol 5/20 I would think that would float,Using my own brand...any thoughts? Ps I will call them back and ask about the using of my brand oil.....C ya

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 for YEARS in all of my Kias. I've always changed my own oil. Have had various things done under warranty, and have never had any issues with the dealer regarding this. They can't "void" your warranty unless they can prove that something you did (or did not do) caused the issue. Even so, they can only deny coverage to the system that was damaged by owner negligence. For example...if a person never changed the oil, and the transmission failed at 50k miles, they couldn't deny coverage to the transmission, because it was not affected by lack of oil changes. However, if in the same scenario your oil pump failed, they wouldn't have to cover it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
At least for the 2014 Sorento SXL V6 the manual's requirement on oil is ILSA GF4 which is the same as API SM. So if you use many modern oils, like Mobii 1 5w-30, the oil will exceed the Kia requirement. Mobil 1 is ILSAC GF5, API SN Resource Conserving, and GM dexos 1 compliant. To my knowledge, those are the later specs for oil in a gas engine vehicle. Indeed, keep your records if you DIY. If you have it done at a dealership, make sure to track it in MyUVO.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oil change

Well I broke down and had the dealer change the oil at 2500 miles... Well My wife brings it home and of course i checked the oil and.......It's way OVERFULL !! and we are going on a 100 mile one way day trip the next morning. Well being its a Friday there is no way to take it back(there closed now) and tommorow is Saterday. So i used a huge siringe with some 1/4 inch tubeing and removed way more than 1/2 a qt from the dipstick hole and called it good cause I sure didn't want to go below the hack mark on the dipstick. It was actually still over full but nothing like it was. so we did the trip and Monday I'm at the dealer with the extra oil in a mason jar.( I sucked out all the extra oil so that it was at the full mark now,this is Sunday now). well the Gal at the service counter said that the lube tec and the service manager are now gone and it was her first day...The lube tec mixed up the 2.0 4 cylinder with the 1.6 4 banger.the 2.0 has close to 5 qts. and the 1.6 holds 4. something....so apoligys aside i got to speak to a Soul machinic, I told him I wanted to do my own maintence and said i wanted to use 5/30 Castrol and their filter.he said that would be fine,JUST KEEP RECORDS... so sorry for being long winded but you understand.. So mystery solved,glad i checked my oil,even if it is brand new....I really like out new Soul and think it will hold up for years to come...Thanks ,Toddnick .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That makes sense....the 1.6L takes 3.5 quarts, and the 2.0L takes 4.25 quarts for drain/refill. Still unacceptable, and a really expensive mistake to be liable for....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
GregsKia
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing