Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It doesn't work like that. It's not like a toxicity level. The point of the report is to see how your numbers compare to hundreds/thousands of Sorentos they've analyzed over the years. All it tells you is if your engine is wearing faster than average, given the number of miles driven since the last oil change.
Does it really indicate my engine is wearing faster than average? Or were you saying it in general?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
653 Posts
Does it really indicate my engine is wearing faster than average? Or were you saying it in general?
lol sorry, I was just talking in general!

Reactions: Superfat_dad

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
222 Posts
And I thought these reports also tell you how much life is left in your oil. Did I miss it somewhere?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And I thought these reports also tell you how much life is left in your oil. Did I miss it somewhere?
I did too. Not sure if this is an add-on i have to pay for.. usually on the bottom it says something like the oil can wait x number of miles longer in between changes or something along those lines

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@rejesterd i used almost 7qts (just under) and my dip stick stills shows oil level halfway between E and F... Ofcourse I let the car sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow to oil to go back to the pan before checking level and i always take measurement on 2nd or 3rd wipe to make sure ..

Would you personally add a tiny bit more til its closer to F?

How do you feel about that?

Any other feedback is welcome as well

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
653 Posts
That's the TBN number, which is $10 extra or something like that. If you scrape enough sample reports from the web, you can see it takes a looooong time for the TBN to get lower than what is considered adequate. Modern synthetic engine/transmission oil can last a very long time, chemically speaking.. well over 15k miles. But by that time, you have soot and metals building up to a point where it doesn't matter what the TBN value is. It's interesting to think about how long your engine oil could last, but oil is still pretty cheap.. best not to use your engine as a test subject imo.
i used almost 7qts (just under) and my dip stick stills shows oil level halfway between E and F... Ofcourse I let the car sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow to oil to go back to the pan before checking level and i always take measurement on 2nd or 3rd wipe to make sure ..
Seems good to me. The manual says 6.87 qt for the V6. Might want to just let it sit overnight, then check it cold in the morning. After the first wipe, it should be closer to the F mark. Then after you've driven it for a bit, just wait 3 minutes after shutting it down before checking it again. Then it should be about halfway. It doesn't have to be exact.. as long as you're not a whole quart off, you're fine.

Reactions: Superfat_dad

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
726 Posts
Blackstone does offer a volume discount - either you buy ten prepaid tests or you get some of your gearhead friends to chip in and buy a grouping. I've down to I think my last one out of ten and when I bought them it was $220 for the ten but that has now been 4-5 years as I just don't drive that much anymore. If you have any connection to a formal racing venue, even sanctioned autocross, they also offer a discount for that since we would send them in every oil change which ended up being about every 500 miles on a track and often 2-3 times in a season.

I sent mine in on the Sorento a little later in its life, learned not to send them in on a new engine because just too many things happening with break in. Results are actually better than the averages but I'm changing at 5,000 miles. If you also get the TBN readings, they can give you an idea of how far to extend the OCI although on our cars still under warranty, it doesn't matter what they say, only what Kia requires. But I've done that at times in the past and they always recommend going further than 5,000 with synthetic and OEM filter - suggest 7,500 and retest.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
314 Posts
@rejesterd i used almost 7qts (just under) and my dip stick stills shows oil level halfway between E and F... Ofcourse I let the car sit for 5 to 10 minutes to allow to oil to go back to the pan before checking level and i always take measurement on 2nd or 3rd wipe to make sure ..

Would you personally add a tiny bit more til its closer to F?

How do you feel about that?

Any other feedback is welcome as well
Morning Tim. If I'm remembering correctly, it takes 6.87 quarts. I put in 7 and call it done. I can't imagine that .13 qts is going to cause a problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Morning Tim. If I'm remembering correctly, it takes 6.87 quarts. I put in 7 and call it done. I can't imagine that .13 qts is going to cause a problem.
Good morning Wheels

You're right it should be just fine, but for some reason oil level on dip stick keeps showing as half way between empty and full. Never had that issue with other cars.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
314 Posts
Hmmm.... Not sure what to say about that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hmmm.... Not sure what to say about that.
Yeah the sorento is a little tricky to have the oil level checked. @rejesterd suggested I check levels after sitting overnight and I just did. Same. Half way between empty and full. I am afraid to add any more because i used 7 already. Noway the manufacturer can be wrong on the 6.87.

In the user manual somewhere it mentions oil level up to the Full mark on the dip stick then somewhere else it says between Full and Empty is normal. Who knows!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Good morning Wheels

You're right it should be just fine, but for some reason oil level on dip stick keeps showing as half way between empty and full. Never had that issue with other cars.
Photo please, just to make sure you are reading the dipstick correctly, while on level ground.
I always check after the vehicle has sat overnight. If it's still reading a bit-short, add another half-quart and re-check the following morning, engine cold of-course.

Only other recourse is making sure you have the correct dipstick for that year, make, model and engine spec.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Photo please, just to make sure you are reading the dipstick correctly, while on level ground.
I always check after the vehicle has sat overnight. If it's still reading a bit-short, add another half-quart and re-check the following morning, engine cold of-course.
I will post a photo. Although it is hard to see the oil considering the oil is still new and golden not dark enough to easily see.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,730 Posts
Ignore color, then. Get it in the right light and you should be able to tell wet from dry rather than oil vs. steel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

This is without running since yesterday. Sitting overnight. Multiple wipes. As you can see the oil is not there to full yet...

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
177 Posts
View attachment 116189

This is without running since yesterday. Sitting overnight. Multiple wipes. As you can see the oil is not there to full yet...

What are your thoughts?
Suggestion, swing by your dealership to compare your dipstick to another Sorento. I refill right on the full mark every time without any complications. Something is off especially since you’ve already put 7 quarts in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Suggestion, swing by your dealership to compare your dipstick to another Sorento. I refill right on the full mark every time without any complications. Something is off especially since you’ve already put 7 quarts in.
I appreciate the suggestion, good call.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

These are the details listed in Kia's manual. None of my other vehicles had to be between EMPTY and FULL. All were usually on FULL

21 - 40 of 41 Posts