Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I was able to install and activate this feature on my KIA Sorento 2019 EX. The wiring is simple, two wires to C-CAN, one to ignition, one for the consistent + and ground. Then you activate this feature on your instrument cluster (special equipment is needed) and you are done. For now the module is not actually installed I've just hooked it up to make sure it actually works with my car. See attached pics for more details. So the nex steps are to install this module properly into the car and buy TPMS sensors.
Speedometer Car Odometer Motor vehicle Trip computer

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any prerequisites? Just curious if it's possible to do it on LX model.
No prerequisites for this particular feature. It will work on LX.. Actually my module is from LX. The VIN you see on the picture is not from my car but it's from the car this module was taken off from. If you check this vin you will see that it's LX

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
I'd rather not have the TPMS light on in winter tires nor have to pay for 4 sensors and program them. Ok I guess for summer only climates to have it monitored but they're not indicating you have the correct pressure when on. Just an unsafe pressure. Balance front and rear pressures really need to be checked especially when climate temps changed a lot to get it back to spec's. Hot temps will increase pressure and cold seasons are a lot lower as well. Hence correction is needed even if you don't have slow leaks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd rather not have the TPMS light on in winter tires nor have to pay for 4 sensors and program them. Ok I guess for summer only climates to have it monitored but they're not indicating you have the correct pressure when on. Just an unsafe pressure. Balance front and rear pressures really need to be checked especially when climate temps changed a lot to get it back to spec's. Hot temps will increase pressure and cold seasons are a lot lower as well. Hence correction is needed even if you don't have slow leaks.
Well, it depends on the car year and also on the type of the TPMS sensors. To be short Sorento 2019-2020 show the actual pressure for every wheel it's not just about unsafe pressure.. I am not sure about older Sorentos. That's true, if you have winter tires you need to have another set of 4 sensors to be installed in them but the good news you don't need to program them since it's happening automatically. Another good news you can get "OEM" sensors on Aliexpress for $50 for the entire set. It's already tested for years and it works perfectly.. Very good replica, good quality and the car recongnizes them as original OEM parts.. So not that expensive after all.
I will post my pics of my dash once the system is completelly installed

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
I don't have the vehicle module etc as this SX 2019 was NOT built with TPMS (so much for top of the line, they snuck a SXL in here which may have it). As if the SX is not premium enough for this feature stock on nearly all SUV's for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
972 Posts
I love the TPMS, and mine indeed does show the actual tire pressures. FWIW, it's actually quite accurate when I check with a tire gauge as well. Just had to add a little air to my tires as it's getting cooler and they were a couple pounds low.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
I love the TPMS, and mine indeed does show the actual tire pressures. FWIW, it's actually quite accurate when I check with a tire gauge as well. Just had to add a little air to my tires as it's getting cooler and they were a couple pounds low.
Thats the way is should be not just and idiot light. I had it on my Highlander Sport AWD 2012 w/idiot light. I came on once and took a while to figure it out. But I knew most system put them in spare tires and yes it was the upside down mounted spare which I corrected so the valve faced down. The PSI certainly would be useful but alas we don't get them in Canada!!

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
972 Posts
Well, my spare tire doesn't get a TPMS indication, so it's not perfect in the US either. Since the tires have to rotate to trigger the TPMS readings, I'm not sure how it would work in a spare, must be a different kind of sensor for the spare.

I looked, and apparently only full sized spares sometimes have a TPMS sensor and it is a different type, which makes sense.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alas we don't get them in Canada!!
Yeah, this is something that I cannot understand as well. TPMS doesn't come even with SXL, it's just KIA Marketing. But I will have it soon in Canada :)

As for Toyota, you are right. I had Venza 2010 with the same idiot light that even doesn't say which wheel has a wrong pressure so you have to identify it yourself :)

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
To me it seems Kia is Skimping on option which should be at least on SX models. Rain wiper sensors would be nice and not on it. I read the owners manual and go oh nice and go the the Sorento and go Ahh Shit its not here. Then on the next item as well, Crap episode again when the next option is MIA. Really is Kia Canada Smart or just that dump. I normally don't shop for an auto based on options but may have to and go through a detailed check list.
I've seen ads on TV showing premium configured models compared to competition promoting how well equiped they are. I'd have the say now NOT SO, too much is skimped away and that includes the Garage door opener control which was in every vehicle of mine and sons going back to 2009 (Sante Fe was my first, & 2009 Explorer was my son's now nothing. Geeze I am going backwards here now and it was the driving force to get a new vehicle to replace my Highlander of less than 130k km on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree 100%. I like how this car looks like and drives but agree that Kia is skimping on options. I also was disappointed when figured out that there is no rain sensor for Canada, but they supply it for Europe and Russia, No remote garage door opener option, no TPMS but its all available in US and much more.. Btw I was curios if it's possible to install rain sensor and was able to figure it our.. It's possible, no special equipment is needed, no instrument cluster recoding but wiring is a pain.. Not sure if I want to go through this... We will see maybe some day..

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
We also get much less protection. (numbers are rounded off)

Here we get 5 years and 100,000km warranty (62,000 miles equiv)
USA gets 10 years and 100,000 Miles warranty (161,000 Km equiv)

Also a lot drops off at 60k km as well or 3rd year to further insult us. Somebody must think we're Stupid. Warranty counts a lot!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sad but true...

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
856 Posts
The US gets TPMS, Canada gets daytime running lights - who knows what runs through the minds of the marketing geniuses at the various manufacturers.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
Not so, both were legally required in SUV's following the 91 Ford Explorer fisco with flipping their Explorers. Its likely these are not classified as an SUV and they get away with it on that note. DRL is built in most brands and just turned off in markets not requiring them legally.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
856 Posts
Not so, both were legally required in SUV's following the 91 Ford Explorer fisco with flipping their Explorers. Its likely these are not classified as an SUV and they get away with it on that note. DRL is built in most brands and just turned off in markets not requiring them legally.
Not built in on the Sorento - adding them is quite the process. If it was a simple software change, I'd gladly pay for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But in case of TPMS it's not that complicated.. Just 4 wires (the fifth is ground so I don't count it).. 2 of them you connect by using "add a circle" so no modification in the existing car wiring is needed for them. The only 2 c-can wires are needed to be really integrated into the existing car harness.. Which is also not a big deal with T-connectors

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
330 Posts
We also get much less protection. (numbers are rounded off)

Here we get 5 years and 100,000km warranty (62,000 miles equiv)
USA gets 10 years and 100,000 Miles warranty (161,000 Km equiv)

Also a lot drops off at 60k km as well or 3rd year to further insult us. Somebody must think we're Stupid. Warranty counts a lot!!
The 10 year / 100k mile warranty is powertrain only. The "bumper to bumper" warranty is 5 years / 60k miles.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,164 Posts
Yes and Canadian is 5 year power train warranty. We do believe 10 Years is far better than 5 years. Along with an additional 62,000 miles of driving as well.
FYI My 2015 SX has 86,000km (53,000 miles) and out of warranty due to only 5 years. It is barely half you mileage allotment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts